Intermitten break noise / grinding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermitten break noise / grinding

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
This has been going on for quite a while now.

Sometimes when I stop, I get a real bad grinding in the front brakes. Sounds just like the pads need to be replaced. I have put new tires on, new roters, bearings, and pads and still I get this noise. Its not all the time. I can stop at one red light and it will grind, then it will be quite on the next. I cant figure it out....

My 2000xlt does this also, I have asked the same question long ago. The consensus from almost everyone was...drum roll please...Ball joints. Fortunately they are fairly easy to check, do a search for ball joint and you will find a thread with the procedures to check them. Now that it is warm, I will be doing the checks and trying to replace them. There is an excellent write up with great pictures in the stickies at the top of the page.

David

hmmmmmmm ball joints....
Mine were done under warranty in 2000 so I will check them this weekend...not sure replacing them is a job I can do myself as I believe the upper ctrl arm and ball joint are one unit..

correct they are at one with the arm. The ball joints in our beloved Ex's tend to go south quickly, get an after market brand like Moog with grease fittings and grease 'em when you change the oil and they should last much longer.

David

Back