Grinding Noise OUT OF IDEAS! HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding Noise OUT OF IDEAS! HELP!!

McWiggles

Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Hey guys I have a grinding noise coming from my front passenger tire almost like a metal on metal grind. I started at the obvious and changed the brake pads $ 60.00....still the noise. I then changed the bearing/ hub assembly $156.00 AND THE NOISE IS STILL THERE!!!. Im thinking the only thing that could be left is the rotor but i want to get some thoughts before I drop another $40.00 on parts and am forced to take a BFH ( Big F'ing Hammer) to the truck if the noise continues . Please help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the noise only occur when the truck is in motion? Does it speed up and slow down with the speed of the truck?

If yes, then the problem is certainly in the brakes or bearings.

If no, then does it only occur when hitting bumps? A bad ball joint or shock is typically a loud squeek, but could possibly make a grind sound when going over bumps but not as likely.

When replacing parts, you might consider shopping around. I replaced both hub assemblies on a 97 Explorer I had before for only $60. I got them off of ebay as a pair brand new. If your short on time and it's your daily driver then I can understand paying the top dollar.

Also can you hear or feel anything when you turn the wheel with the truck jacked up? Put your hand on the spring while turning the wheel, sometimes you can feel a bad bearing or whatever rather than hear it because of the rotation speed is so low.

i bet the backing plate is bent in touching the rotor,,

Lift the front end and start turning wheels by hand checking clearances and listening. As suggested / question, does your problem exist during straight runs versus turning? My bet is that your wheel is scraping the caliper mount somewhere from install issues.

Hey guys ya the truck will only do it in motion and still does it but quiets down when i apply the brakes. I put a new bearing in it last night in minus 15 degree weather (was fun) and still did it. the only thing i noticed is that the bracket holding the break caliper on seemed to be a little out, might just have to go to the wreckers and grab one. I have a sneeking suspision the rotor is rubbing on that. Ill keep you guys posted!

changed the rotor and still the noise im at a loss guys

I'm with Corky, check the back plate behind the rotor. I had one bend and touch and it makes a grinding noise. Also are you sure you have the correct wheel? I had a bear go, on what I was certain was the drivers side. A passenger was able to tell me it was the passenger side not the drivers side. It can be deceiving sometimes.

I had the clip that is on the caliper bracket, where the pads go in rubbing the rotor. Made an AWFUL noise. Pull the rotor off and look at both sides of it - see if you can see where something has rubbed it.

ok so here's the scoop guys changed the pads, bearings/hub , rotor, bracket and even tried taking the dust guard off and still the noise. Im with sport97 im thinking its got to be another wheel. Will maybe try the drivers side when it warms up. Im getting sick of taking the tire off and putting it back on on the passenger side haha.

Back