Intermittent Check Engine light and Battery light with no codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent Check Engine light and Battery light with no codes

msapers

Reaction score
I have a problem with my 1995 Explorer (4.0, auto, 2wd). When driving, the check engine light and the batrtery light will come on for a while then turn off for a while. They always do this together. It's been doing this for almost a year (at least 10,000 miles). It runs great with no problems other than the lights. Unfortunately, it's due for emissions testing and it will not pass with the check engine light on. I have checked the codes myself and I have had them checked by two different auto parts stores. It shows no codes. I do not know what to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tried disconnecting the negative battery terminal to reset?

Have you been checking the codes on the OBDII port or the older style under the hood? A '95 will have both connectors.

I've tried disconnecting the battery (both cables) overnight. I've been checking the codes at the OBDII port under the dash.

The OBDII port wont give you engine codes on a '95. Use the older style one under the dash.

any time the battery light comes on your charging system is not functioning. while the batt light is on, your vehicle is running off the battery. with a good battery you can drive for days (provided you're not using any lights or accessories). as your problem is intermittant, you don't run off your battery long enough to drain it to any extent. i'm not sure if the CEL would come on if your charging system stops charging, but as they always come on and go off together and there are no codes being stored, it probably does. as far as where to start looking, have your alternator checked and make sure your battery cables are in good condition and clean. also check the connections to your alternator to make sure they're clean and tight.

Back