Intermittent, high pitched squeal, front end 2015 LTD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent, high pitched squeal, front end 2015 LTD

Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? My 2015 XLT is making the same noise only while driving. Usually starts a few miles after driving and goes away about 10 minutes after.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this same exact problem. It’s the brakes. Specifically this “W” shaped anti rattle clip / device. It sits in this tiny cup on the pad.

Mine had popped out and was rubbing up against the caliper bracket clip which pushed against the rotor. When things heated up, think hard brake pressure, things expanded and it would stop.

I replaced the pads, installed the “W” clip, making certain it was seated and then put on the caliper.

Did you ever fully solve this? My Ford Explorer has been making the same exact sound for the last year. Only happens when driving, in temps between 30 and 60 degrees, and after 3-5 minutes of driving at 30mph or more. The length of the squeak varies a lot, from a few quick squeaks to long squeaks of 10-15 seconds. All belts and pulleys have been inspected. I like the idea of the anti-rattle clips and will check that.

Did you ever fully solve this? My Ford Explorer has been making the same exact sound for the last year. Only happens when driving, in temps between 30 and 60 degrees, and after 3-5 minutes of driving at 30mph or more. The length of the squeak varies a lot, from a few quick squeaks to long squeaks of 10-15 seconds. All belts and pulleys have been inspected. I like the idea of the anti-rattle clips and will check that.
Welcome to the Forum Stan. :wave:

Peter

Help! Hello! Intermittent front end squeal while driving. Have replaced belt, tensioner, pulley. Not AC related. Not brake related. Not speed related, although it stops when my car is almost at a stop. Noise starts at about 4-5 miles after starting morning drive, and is random after that. Several mechanics have driven the car, but the squeal hasn't happened. I'd love to figure this out! The sound is bouncing off the wall and is very noticable here... I'm afraid something will freeze up on the road and cause a horrible accident!

Here is a link to the squeal.

I have this exact same noise! I have explored everything I could think of. It started after an icing over and I had been using 4x4 for snow. I have replaced the passenger hub, tie-rod, steering kinks, brakes, rotors, belt, tensioner. I recently found a cv leak, pushing to have shop that did hub to replace/fix because there wasn’t issue before that. Anyhow, someone said CV, though it doesn’t sound very speed related, it does sound wheel related because of the rotating sound as you slow down. I am at a complete loss. Right now it is getting an oil pan gasket fixed under warranty after replacing oil pan. But I would LOVE to know if this was ever resolved or any other ideas. It is literally the exact sound! Nearly broke daughter’s eardrum when I heard the noise! Just got done reading another forum and commented that they need to capture the sound if they can. Anyhow, help please!

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you ask them to check for possible issues regarding the squeal when they are fixing the gasket?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Stan. :wave:

Peter
I have this exact same noise! I have explored everything I could think of. It started after an icing over and I had been using 4x4 for snow. I have replaced the passenger hub, tie-rod, steering kinks, brakes, rotors, belt, tensioner. I recently found a cv leak, pushing to have shop that did hub to replace/fix because there wasn’t issue before that. Anyhow, someone said CV, though it doesn’t sound very speed related, it does sound wheel related because of the rotating sound as you slow down. I am at a complete loss. Right now it is getting an oil pan gasket fixed under warranty after replacing oil pan. But I would LOVE to know if this was ever resolved or any other ideas. It is literally the exact sound! Nearly broke daughter’s eardrum when I heard the noise! Just got done reading another forum and commented that they need to capture the sound if they can. Anyhow, help please!
Solution found!!! (Probably, I haven't had mine fixed yet, but I couldn't wait to share the info with others).
I found this video with an identical noise.

The comments provide the solution of a problematic PTU or Power Transfer Unit. Something about fluid, deflector and seal. It effects Ford All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles.

Solution found!!! (Probably, I haven't had mine fixed yet, but I couldn't wait to share the info with others).
I found this video with an identical noise
The comments provide the solution of a problematic PTU or Power Transfer Unit. Something about fluid, deflector and seal. It effects Ford All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles.
This link doesn’t work for me. What’s the title of the video?

Update: Had my right PTU seal replaced and the noise is gone. Thankfully I had no fluid issues or other damage. Thank you internet!

Update: Had my right PTU seal replaced and the noise is gone. Thankfully I had no fluid issues or other damage. Thank you internet!
Congratulations. Do you know how it was diagnosed as the seal needing to be replaced? I called about 10 dealers noone wants to do anything PTU related

Congratulations. Do you know how it was diagnosed as the seal needing to be replaced? I called about 10 dealers noone wants to do anything PTU related
I used an independent but reputable service shop. They frankly just took my word for it as they couldnt get the sound to happen or see any problem. I had video of my noise and provided the other clip above to compare, which were identical. The parts and labor were @$300. If there was a fluid issue or damage, it could easily jump up to thousands.

Help! Hello! Intermittent front end squeal while driving. Have replaced belt, tensioner, pulley. Not AC related. Not brake related. Not speed related, although it stops when my car is almost at a stop. Noise starts at about 4-5 miles after starting morning drive, and is random after that. Several mechanics have driven the car, but the squeal hasn't happened. I'd love to figure this out! The sound is bouncing off the wall and is very noticable here... I'm afraid something will freeze up on the road and cause a horrible accident!

My 2015 Ford explorer does the exact same thing the local mechanic shop thinks it's a PTU it's not I wonder what it is I haven't seen anybody reply to Delco fuss video because that's what my car does sure would like to know the answer.

My 2015 Ford explorer does the exact same thing the local mechanic shop thinks it's a PTU it's not I wonder what it is I haven't seen anybody reply to Delco fuss video because that's what my car does sure would like to know the answer.
How do you know it’s not your PTU? Can you pin point where the noise is coming from? My noise sounds like it’s coming from the front middle of the car where the PTU is located. Have you checked all your CV boots to make sure there are no leaks? Assuming you checked your brake system also.

How do you know it’s not your PTU? Can you pin point where the noise is coming from? My noise sounds like it’s coming from the front middle of the car where the PTU is located. Have you checked all your CV boots to make sure there are no leaks? Assuming you checked your brake system also.
Thanks for the reply it is identical to the videos that we've seen from delphiscus it is the same noises same speeds it's identical as you slow down and get below 7 miles an hour it goes away after you drive it about a mile mile and a half it goes away I serviced the PTU getting to the vent was a pain in the butt but from what I've read on Explorer forum there's three or four people who had the exact same thing I was hoping one of them would be able to say oh yeah we found out it was.. I'm looking for that kind of reply service the PTU same same

Thanks for your inquiry Jay Rock so I put the vehicle on a lift and put it in gear I didn't know what I would find out after a couple of minutes that's screaming started and it's coming from the two front wheels I'm going to take the wheels off this weekend to see what I can find out CV boots PTU everything looks good except the wheels they're screaming for a couple of minutes and it goes away

Thanks for your inquiry Jay Rock so I put the vehicle on a lift and put it in gear I didn't know what I would find out after a couple of minutes that's screaming started and it's coming from the two front wheels I'm going to take the wheels off this weekend to see what I can find out CV boots PTU everything looks good except the wheels they're screaming for a couple of minutes and it goes away
Wheel bearings? :dunno:

Peter

Wheel bearings? :dunno:

Peter
The problem was the carrier bearing... Changed it this weekend noise is GONE..yes it was the CV axle (carrier bearing)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was the the carrier bearing on the CV axle out to me forever to figure it out but yes that scream is gone...

Back