Intermittent lefter noise at start up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent lefter noise at start up.

Greyfox1

Reaction score
City, State
Praire City, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Bronco II
I have a 1990 Bronco II I bought new that during start-up (ONLY) I can hear a load tapping noise, this is only during start-up, and only for two to three seconds, or until oil pressure builds up. The tapping doesn't happen with every start-up, it come and goes. I had the dealership where I bought the B2 replace the engine at 59K after raising a lot of hell over the tapping. After 5000 miles on the new engine the tapping came back. I've been running Mobil 1-5/30 in the engine, and Mobil 1 gear lube products through the drive train from day one. The only problem with my B2 (it looks like new from bumper to bumper) is this tapping. With a few minor upgrades I've managed to raise MPG to 27.5 so I know that otherwise the engine is running just fine.

I've read all the internet forums and read any number of would-be solutions to tapping: from changing the oil & filter, to changing the oil pump, to changing the PVC valve, to doing a complete rebuild. But all these solutions related to have to do with engine that have a tapping noise all the time ...... nothing to do with tapping only during start-up, and only part time.

Does anyone out there really have the right solution to this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just changed to the NAPA Gold 1515 with a Silicone Anti-Drain Back Valve. My theory being that when the engine set overnight the oil drained out of the lifters, and during startup that few second it take to pump up the lifters allowed them to tap, but then sometimes before the new filter & 10/30 Ruby (the Bronco II) started without the tapping. In the last seven mornings scents the oil change Ruby has only done her tap-dance twice, and that is the worry, will it keep happening from time to tome, and if so.....WHY? Like I said the confusing part is that it only happens about half the time,.........or did. I've been starting the engine each morning to see had she feel each morning.

Thank for the welcome. What does moving this to the B2 forum get me? I had enough trouble getting around this forum.

What brand of oil filter do you have on it now?

Welcome to the site.

I'm going to move this to the B2 forum--

It sounds to me like it's just that, the oil is draining from the lifters when it sits.
Why it does that sometimes and not others, I'm not sure (i'm not sure the mechanics of what's supposed to keep the oil in them while sitting), but I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about if the engine is running fine otherwise.

If the problem is getting better (less frequent), then I would consider that a good thing (maybe some crud/sludge/etc. floating around in there causing things to stick is being washed away by the clean oil after being changed).

What I wouldn't do though is keep starting it up every morning unless it's to actually drive it. If you're starting it, letting it run for a minute, then shutting it off before it fully warms up, that will cause more condensation to remain in the oil, which could worsen the problem.

......their back.......

:usa:
I have a 1990 Bronco II I bought new that during start-up (ONLY) I can hear a load tapping noise, this is only during start-up, and only for two to three seconds, or until oil pressure builds up. The tapping doesn't happen with every start-up, it come and goes. I had the dealership where I bought the B2 replace the engine at 59K after raising a lot of hell over the tapping. After 5000 miles on the new engine the tapping came back. I've been running Mobil 1-5/30 in the engine, and Mobil 1 gear lube products through the drive train from day one. The only problem with my B2 (it looks like new from bumper to bumper) is this tapping. With a few minor upgrades I've managed to raise MPG to 27.5 so I know that otherwise the engine is running just fine.

I've read all the internet forums and read any number of would-be solutions to tapping: from changing the oil & filter, to changing the oil pump, to changing the PVC valve, to doing a complete rebuild. But all these solutions related to have to do with engine that have a tapping noise all the time ...... nothing to do with tapping only during start-up, and only part time.

Does anyone out there really have the right solution to this problem?

I'm checking back to see if anyone has come up with a sulution to my above problem. I made sure I using a good oil filter, tried Mobil 1/10/30 which did nothing so I want back to Mobil 1/5/30. At least I know I'm keeping things well lubed.

I wouldn't care if I wasn't taking good care of Ruby. She still get 25.5 MPG on High test, and she still looks like new, runs perfectly except for that intermittent lifter noise at start up in the morning which is happening more often. I'm just wondering if a valve adjustment might help, or maybe a upgraded set of lifter. Got any ideas??

Totally normal. Mine ticked randomly at startup, sometimes it didn't, never gave me any problems with the 30K I put on it nor did it get any worse, it's a 2.9, be lucky it only ticks at startup. Leave it alone, it's not hurting anything.

Just bought 90 BroncoII with 175,000 for $500 with a recent valve job(experienced machine shop) & new lifters where the previous owner was tryin to fix the same problem. It didn't fix it. Same thing, it makes the tapping noise when it feels like it. Hot, Cold, Once a week, Twice a day, Never know. Think I'm going to try to put another 100000 miles on it and pray that what ever it is doesn't break or is cheap to fix. Just a guess, bypass/pressure valve in oil pump sticking open sometimes after you shut the engine off. Sounds almost like a collapsed piston skirt sometimes.

Will look into this

Just bought 90 BroncoII with 175,000 for $500 with a recent valve job(experienced machine shop) & new lifters where the previous owner was tryin to fix the same problem. It didn't fix it. Same thing, it makes the tapping noise when it feels like it. Hot, Cold, Once a week, Twice a day, Never know. Think I'm going to try to put another 100000 miles on it and pray that what ever it is doesn't break or is cheap to fix. Just a guess, bypass/pressure valve in oil pump sticking open sometimes after you shut the engine off. Sounds almost like a collapsed piston skirt sometimes.

I don't know that the pump has a check valve, I know the filters do, and still think it could be the filter. I looking for a filter with a better valve.

The one thing that hasn't been talked about is that the 2.8 engine was having problems with cracked and warped heads. In 1989 or 90 Ford made two changes in the 2.8 engine. They upgraded the heads to stop the cracking, and went from mechanical lifers to hydraulic. This was called the 2.9engine. Does anyone out there with an older B2 have the same problem?

Does your B2 rattle again after it's been running for a few seconds or if you start it again after it warms up. Mine does it only at cold start ups, and only from time to time.

I'm wondering if the problem can be salved with a backdoor approach. My B2 starts with a tap of the starter. If there is some way to allow it turn over two to three times to pump oil back into the lifters before the engine starts, BUT without losing any performance. Anyone got any ideas? Or maybe going to a higher performance oil pump.

The idea that the tapping can do no harm doesn't make any sense. Popping a valve stem, and diving a valve into a piston, bending a pushrod, or collapsing a lifter would really make for a bad day if I were camped out on top of a mountain somewhere.

I've also been thinking of going to a diesel engine if I can find the extra bucks. Ford built one for the B2, but with only 81 horses it was usless for pulling even light-grade hills.

This is a generic answer, but just take a ratchet extension or screwdriver and place on valve cover with ear on end. Now after locating what side, pull off valve cover...start engine and feel each rocker as it moves. You will be able to locate the bad lifter, if in fact it is a lifter. Yes there will be oil splattered. I used to have a set of valve covers made to do this. It had the top cut out.

My '87 B2 has had a similar problem, noisy lifter on startup...three years ago it had a hard failure, made me replace it (and the others, "just in case"). Rattle came back after a few thousand miles...this time I didn't ignore it. (LOL--yeah, I had my fingers crossed! :roll: )

The original rattle started out small, and over time (about a year) grew in intensity and duration...finally failed. After replacing them and then having the sound come back (only at startup) I tried different additives to see if any helped (the thinking is "do the easy stuff first")

As I understand it, the B2 has oil-flow problems to the forward lifters. I tried several different oil additives, the only one that worked greatly to reduce the noise was "Lucas Oil Stabilizer". Since then, the noise has not increased, and more often than not has no sound. Let the engine warm up at idle for a couple minutes, and it will thank you. (source link: http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=LCO&MfrPartNumber=10001&CategoryCode=2049

10001.jpg
)

Change oil if you haven't recently, add a quart, and that may help.

Back