• Register Today It's free!

Internet connectivity lacking

Loganfilm

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Monica, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited 4WD
So.. When I first read that the new system would act as a wi-fi hotspot, I logically concluded that this new car would access the internet for information. This is absolutely not the case and I'm baffled by this.

When I can put a 4G pipeline in my car, which the car is built to play nice with and create a hotspot, then why would you deny that pipeline for information delivery to the MFT unit?? It's absolutely backwards to have this and then force us to use a phone to dial in, which is effectively a dial up modem, to get info. What were they thinking??? The whole system would run so much smoother if you could simply leave it connected to the internet and use whatever carrier that you want at whatever speed you want to pay for.

Instead, we have to initiate calls to get snippets of info at a pace that was exciting over 15 years ago.

I have now come to the conclusion that the nav system doesn't take into account for live traffic unless you initiate the address info through the call in travel link. Even then, it only seems to account for freeway traffic, when live street level traffic is currently available on google maps and other traffic services via internet. The MotionX iphone and ipad app does a stellar job of this and gets it's info from the 3G or wifi connection on the phone.

The other method of data delivery is through the satellite. When using Sirius travel link, you have to wait forever to get gas prices or weather, and even then it usually doesn't show up completely or at all:thumbdwn:. This is entirely inadequate.

This is nuts. Why such a step backwards from a potentially forward thinking item???

The hardware is there. Why not use it????

I just don't get it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd really like some feedback from Ford on this.

Cory?

I'd really like some feedback from Ford on this.

Cory?
The SYNC Support team is especially dedicated to use the hardware in the Explorer to its fullest potential, and the suggestions / questions in your post are greatly appreciated. I wanted to let you know that I’ve forwarded this to get feedback for you, but I’m still awaiting a response. I will be posting what I find when I get a reply.

Cory

So.. When I first read that the new system would act as a wi-fi hotspot, I logically concluded that this new car would access the internet for information. This is absolutely not the case and I'm baffled by this.

I was surprised by this also. I can only conclude it is to avoid getting legions of upset customers who do not have a data plan and find themselves with large bills from something they didn't understand.

I'd be more than happy to have to enter an "I agree" into a settings page warning me about cell phone data charges.

+1 on this. It is ridiculous that SYNC doesn't use my phones data connection to gather data. Just use the app-hardware link added in iOS 3.0 to do it. Most major consumer electronics manufacturers are doing it...ESPECIALLY if the hardware is already there like it is in the Explorer.

Thank you!

I think this could solve a LOT of problems. Just open up that data pipeline and let the info flow. My Verizon 4G hotspot is running at 18MB while cruising around Los Angeles. It's a fatter pipeline than most people have in their homes.

I see this discussion mixing two parts of the service, the hardware that Ford has designed and built into our EXs, and the software or services that are provided on that hardware.
Ford, correctly in my opinion, chose to use an existing service from Sirius on traffic and weather. Sirius makes the decision to use sat interface vs 3G/4G interface (which is not build into our trucks). The Sirius service gives every 2011 Explorer owner access to weather and traffic, without having to understand bandwidth, compatablity and configuration issues.

In the future, Ford could open up the FMT interface (or a software developer could jailbreak it without Ford's assistance) and give us techie types interface to great iPod and Android software tools like traffic, weather, navigation and probably tons of other options in our trucks.

The concept of having Sirius providing content sounds good.
But weather (radar) is not real time, so it does not follow the vehicle like it apparently does in with other vehicles. Does that mean Ford gave us a cheap Sirius option with content restricted? Is this a Ford versus Lincoln differentiation to set them apart?

I just think it's nuts that a truck with this potential in the tech department has blocked the most logical delivery method of information is completely short sighted.

Anyone ever have the Sirius Travel link give them current updated info that was relevant yet?

(crickets)

That's what I thought.

Back