Irregular idle and struggling to start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Irregular idle and struggling to start

Ashley31

Reaction score
City, State
England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 SOHC Explorer
Hi very recently my 97 explorer 4.0l it will start first time, then idling up an down until it’s warm but then after turning it off it just won’t start it keeps turning and turning and it stinks of fuel, plugged into a obd reader and it showing the temp coolant at 286degrees!!!! Surely this isn’t right haha, so I figured maybe faulty ECT sensor (worth noting as well the gauge in the car barely moves reads way below cold then when it’s warm moves into just above cold which I figured it’s working it’s just out, anyone else as anything similar and did you fix a cheaper fix

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A faulty ECT can certainly cause a non-start after warmup. Had that happen to me one morning a couple yrs ago. After sitting for about an hour, it started right up like nothing happened. Don't recall smelling raw fuel, though. I replaced it and problem solved. A bad crank sensor (or it's wiring connector) can also cause a crank/no-start condition. But, sounds like your ECT and probably your Gauge Sensor are in need of replacement. One word of caution on that...assuming you still have the original housing, the ECT will unscrew no problem. It's the Gauge Sensor that will cause problems as it will just spin inside the t-stat housing and, if the housing isn't already leaking, it probably will now. Your next move will be to upgrade to the later t-stat assembly with clip-in sensors (search this site for details).

Excellent I’ll try the sensor first if that cures It can life with a faulty gauge

One word of caution on that...assuming you still have the original housing, the ECT will unscrew no problem. It's the Gauge Sensor that will cause problems as it will just spin inside the t-stat housing and, if the housing isn't already leaking, it probably will now. Your next move will be to upgrade to the later t-stat assembly with clip-in sensors (search this site for details).
Great advice, and the gauge sender insert on the OE lower t-stat housing is almost guaranteed to break when you attempt to loosen it, especially if it's been in there for 20+ years. Also, avoid the Dorman, Four Seasons, Murray, and other inexpensive plastic aftermarket kits if possible, many reports of early failures and other issues. Here's the upgrade if you haven't seen it.

4.0 SOHC plastic thermostat housing | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Luckily the t-stat isn’t leaking and by looking at the crank sensor too it looks fairly new so I would have thought it’s okay, changing the ECT tomorrow hopefully it cures the problem

Back