cold air intake....irregular idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jackietison

Reaction score
City, State
somewhere,outthere
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 ford explorer
i own a 2003 ford explorer w/4.0.i did an upgrade on my exhaust system and then shortly after installed a K&N cold air intake. And now my engine runs erratic in idle and sometimes even stalls (shuts off) on slow down ( coming to red lights,stop signs,etc. ) There were no problems after changing the exhaust,but as soon after installing the cold air intake,the problem began.It is the correct intake for my explorer.I checked through K&N.
PLEASE, Does anyone have any idea what my problem may be?How can i fix this problem?....i would like only educated guesses through schooling OR experiences you or someone you know has had, please.In other words I'm tired of guess work,lol.
Thanx for your help, jack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...You probably have oil from your filter that is now in your MAF...Do a search on here for "How to clean your MAF" or just "MAF"

The company CRC sells Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner for like 6.00. Napa, Baxters, and Autozone all carry it.
41fX171WA3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I really appreciate the replies so far,didn't expect any so quick....i have actually used CRC sells Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner.My ranger which is and has always been stock, had some of these same symptoms,i was told to use this stuff and it did the trick. But it did not work for my explorer.i have also tested the MAF and it is fine....i even went as far as putting the stock intake back on,and when i do,problem solved.But when i installed the K&N intake back on, back to the same problem.
thanks jack

...Do you have to unplug any vacuum lines when you remove your stock airbox???...If you do, what did you do with the vacuum lines???

there was only one vacuum line to be disconnected, the crankcase fresh air inlet hose.But it was to be reconnected to the K&N cold air intake,which i did....so I'm all good on the vacuum lines.I have even checked,double checked and triple checked for vacuum lines & leaks just in case i over looked something.All checked fine.
Thanx jack

...Do you have any pictures you could post of your setup???

Back