Irregular idle

Clarky

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XL
Hello posters,

I am new to this site and would appreciate any feedback if possible. I have a 95 Explorer and it has an irregular idle. At idle, it revs high for most of the time but it also can go back and forth from high RPM's to low RPM's to the point it either stalls out or it kicks back into the higher RPM range. (2000-500rpm)

This has been going on for awhile but it has recently gotten worse. It is a standard tranny and when shifting between the gears it has a very high RPM because it won't release. The exhaust seems puttery (if that's a word lol) meaning that it is sputtering if you can relate.

It has a rough idle for sure but when driving it seems fine, its just between shifting and at idle that you notice this fluctuation in RPM and rough idle.

I also recently had the intake manifold gaskets replaced by a mechanic that seems to know what he's doing, however, we had these issues before he touched it so I can't really blame him.
Unfortunately I never met the mechanic as my son uses the Ford while living out of town to play Jr Hockey. The reason we needed to take it to the mechanic was because he had lost coolant, no heat and the temp gauge was soaring high. We were in Mexico at the time so I found this mechanic thru a good friend. The fix seems to have worked but this revving has become a serious issues. I don't think the revving was acting up when my son took it to him.

One more point to mention incase it helps, we live in Canada and in a place where the vehicle has travelled over higher altitude and then back down to lower land and last week the Ford travelled thru the mountains to come back home for the year. Could this be an issue as well?

I think its a vacuum issue and have checked and replaced several little parts that I have acquired from junk yard etc after having been on Youtube and seeing what people suggest. No luck so far!!

What about EGR or O2 sensor?

Thanks in advance to those who reply!

Clarky

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! Sounds as if you have a vacuum issue or the IAC has gone bad. I would start with the throttle body and work your way back. You can clean the butterfly valve and then clean the IAC pretty easily.

Yes I replaced the IAC with a couple used ones from junk yard and still no change. I believe trying two used ones would have been lucky enough but it didn't work. What do you clean the IAC with by the way? Carb cleaner?

I cleaned the throttle body earlier (as best I could) and it didn't change so I am getting stumped. The spark plug wires aren't very old so doubt its that. Maybe a faulty plug, bad fuel filter or pump?

Thx

Clarky

Hi Clarky

sounds exactly like the fault i have.
i am in the process of changing my top and bottom intake manifold gaskets
as i have tried everything you mention (loose vacuum pipes) PCV and pipes) infact everything connected to the intake manifold.
i am hoping to have seals on next week and will let you know how i get on

tom

Hi Tom. Thx for your reply. Well after three days of trying everything I still felt it was a vacuum leak. I finally got in touch with my back yard mechanic today, who by the way we call the mad scientist and looks like he is a member of ZZ Top, and within popping the hood he replied "you have a vacuum leak". He found it with in 5 mins - made me feel great, not! Actually he uses a long rubber flexible hose that he moves around close to the engine and listens from other end. Kinda like a stethoscope. So the answer is, it is a leak where the long tube from egr valve connects into the upper intake. There's an o-ring or rubber gasket around the tube and it appears worn. More importantly the tube was not all the way in the intake. Therefore the leak was detected. We unhooked it and plugged the intake hole and she purred like a kitten. So I need to track down that o-ring and properly shove that tube back in and it should be the cure. I think after the other mechanic that did the intake repair he may have disturbed that tube enough to make it fail or loose vacuum. But I can't really blame him too much as it was acting up before he stated the repair. He lives 12 hrs away where my son played hockey so not like I can pay him a visit too easily.
I will let u all know if that's the end if this ordeal.
Thx
Clarky

Yes it was the rubber gasket ($20) that attaches to the metal tube coming off the EGR valve that goes into the intake. That was causing all the idle and rough running issues. All better now. I do have the Check engine light on that has been on forever most likely due to this and all the other parts I've unhooked and re-hooked back up.

I think most of the codes are cleared but we cannot find Error 214. Does anyone know what Code 214 would be for?

Thx

Clarky

Hi Clarky

seems 214 is camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction.

method of erasure is given as :- ignition off -
method 1 - disconnect ECM engine control module
method 2 - disconnect battery earth lead (REMEMBER THIS WILL AFFECT YOUR RADIO CODE)

tom

214 error

Tom,

Thx for the info on 214 error. I will try it in a few days and let you know!

Clarky

Back