wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Currently have 3.27 4L OHV 5 spd manual w/235 15's
would going to 3.73 be that noticable? (in a towing application?)

TIA,
Kurt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No it really wouldn't, if you're considering regearing go with 4.10's. That will make a significant improvement not only in towing, but the truck will just be more fun to drive in general.

what do u mean by more fun to drive?

fun to drive meaning more power, better throttle response, etc. and 3:73's WOULD be a big improvement, but i would go ahead and go 4:10's. my $0.02.

comprimise

I would agree that 4.10's would give me all the above but I do have and will keep the stock 235 15's and since I tow out of OD, 70mph with 4.10's would be whining out at 3500 RPM! (3.73's = 2900 in 4th)
I thought that 3.73's would be a comprimise, better towing, better throttle response, easer to start of in 1st with a trailer but still OK as a daily highway driver.

I did find a front and rear in a bone yard with 30K miles (from a 99) on them, just waiting for a price from a garage for the install.

if i do mostly highway driving, with little or no towing, but still once in a while, go mudding, would 3.73 or 410 gears be better? what about gas mpg?

it depends on what size (diameter) tires your gonna run. gas mileage with the 3:73's will be same/maybe a little worse than what your getting now. it all depends on what type of driving you do. every time i do a gear change my mileage usually suffers the first couple of weeks; probably because with the new found power im runnin' the crap out of it.:D

that was supposed to have read gear changes on several vehicles that i have had in the past. now that i just read my post, it looked like i was talking about changing gears on my X all of the time.:hammer:

clarification of usage

I do 50% highway/50% city driving. I tow quite a bit, and do tow a decent load (for the manual transmission)
I will keep the 235 15's and don't do off road.
The 3.73's "on the book" gives me another 1000# of towing capacity. Being that I am over the limit already for the manual transmission scenerio the 3.73's have to help? The rating for 3.27 is 1850# and the 3.73 is 2800# and my camper weighs 3200# not including family and all my son's toys...

TIA

Kurt

then 3:73's will DEFINATELY help you out. man, i couldnt imagine towing a 3000lb.+ load with a V6 and 3:27's. that must be REAL fun.:D

In '97, when Ford equipped an Explorer with 235 75R15 tires and the towing package, they installed the 3.73 axle. They never installed a 4.10 axle with 235 tires. The 3.73 axle would keep your engine RPM in a range that Ford designed it to operate in. I think 4.10 for 235 tires would be overkill once you got on the highway. A 3.73 will definately be noticeable when taking off and would make towing easier. A 4.10 might be OK if you rarely leave the city, but since you said you are towing a pop-up trailer, I don't think that is the case. Remember that even with the 3.73 you are already exceeding the towing limits of your Explorer and your clutch life will bear that out.

couldnt have said it better myself.;)

Yes, very well put.
My 97 stated tow prep on the sticker but I think all that meant was super cooling and wiring, although the wiring wasn't there.
It was a leftover in 98 and got a great deal on it as I wanted a manual otherwise I would have ordered 3.73LS.
I realize that I am over the tow limit of the transmission but I am still in the capabilities of the truck. I have been towing since it was new and never had any trouble, I am just as nice as nice can be to the clutch but I think that the lower gearing will give me a more comfortable edge when starting out on a hill or more importantly backing up and maneuvering within the campground itself. Once I am up on the highway, the 3.27's are OK but I think that the 3.73's would help in regard to approaching a moderate grade that I wouldn't or may not need to downshift to 3rd as much.
If I have to go through a clutch every 5 or so years, so be it, I would rather take a Saturaday afternoon and do that then burn out a automatic and leave a rebuild up to someone else.

Thanks for all the help, just waiting for the pricing on the labor to change the axles, not sure I want to tackle that myself as the front may be tricky and it is just difficult to find the time these days.

Kurt

I know this post was kinda old, but I have a 98 OHV 4.0 Sport.
Will going 4.10 with 31" tire be putting strain on my transmission?

Thanks

Nathan

haktmal, you should have no problems with that setup assuming you have the computer reprogrammed.

I have 3.73s for sale, however my front came out of a TTB, and I believe the IFS and TTB gears are different, can anyone confirm or deny.

wpurple!

Just some FYI!

I just swapped out my 3.73 gears with some 4.56 gears. I have the front and rear gears I will sell amazingly cheap! The front gears are reverse rotation, which translates to $$$$. Not sure if the front diff for your truck is the same as mine! If you want them, I'll sell for $150 plus shipping!

If you or anyone else is interested, send an email to christopher.lloyd@elmendorf.af.mil.

Later everyone!

The front D35 r&p on the second gens is not reverse cut. And to be honest, I have never noticed a price difference between standard and reverse cut gears.

How about this for a price difference...

1993 sport; rear 8.8 w/ 4.56, $270, front D35 w/ 4.56 reverse cut, $409.

Believe me, I called everywhere to get the lowest price!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey now, I've been trying to sell my 3.73s for 2 weeks. :) I thought you were going to use yours in your other Explorer anyway.

Back