is a 94 exploer sport w/v6 worth having | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is a 94 exploer sport w/v6 worth having

jmmyhffa

Reaction score
City, State
conroe, texas
I found a fairly good deal ($1500) on a 1994 explorer sport v6 with 150k miles, my question is will they go much past this on the stock tranny or are the trannys weak in this year model ?

please respond need help asap, Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

150,000 miles is a lot for ANY brands transmission. At that point your luck is hit or miss. It may last, it may not. The price is fair and the rest of the truck should last a long, long time.

Bigger question: Is it manual or auto?

The automatic is an A4LD, which is prone to having problems at pretty much any mileage. :hammer: OK, well maybe not THAT bad, but it's not the greatest transmission out there.

The manual is a M5OD-R1 which is a fairly stout transmission, but the slave cylinders can be temperamental beyond 3 or 4 years.

If the vehicle is in pretty good condition overall, I'd still try and talk them down a little bit, but if $1500 sounds fair to you, then it wouldn't be too bad of a deal.

The manual transmission can last a long, long time, but as mentioned, the slave cylinders go bad on them, so while you won't have to worry about replacing the entire transmission, you can plan on replacing clutch discs and slave cylinders, which do require drivetrain and transmission removal.

The automatics tend to go out and need rebuilds, so factor that in if it's never had service. Easy driving and no towing, along with keeping the engine cooling system maintained, and the ATF as well, will extend transmission life.

First Gens in general can last 300,000+ with regular maintenance, so if it's in real good shape and doesn't need work, $1500 is fair, especially if it's 4x4 and a high trim level like an Eddie Bauer.

My wife's auto lasted almost 200K, & only had it rebuilt because of the main seals leaking.

Back