Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
Me and my Wife have decided to sell at least one of our old Explorers. The plum colored one is a 1994 4.0 OHV/auto 2wd model. It has 330,000 miles and still going. I think that I need to sell it "as is". It needs a new headliner, the windshield is intact but cracked so it needs replaced. The tan drivers door panel needs dyed gray. I did find a sturdy set of front bucket seats for it because the old ones are very spongy and weak. Front seat upholstery needs installed on the replacement seats. It could use two better tires than what is on it, maybe 4. And I have a spare 4.0 OHV that came out of a running Explorer with ~150k on it. Also in a box inside of the vehicle is a brand new high pressure hose and low pressure hose for the power steering.
I'm pretty sure that if I do the replacement and repairs that it needs I won't be able to get what I would need to out of it. At this point I think it might would bring $800- but as "they" say 'it is only worth what someone will give you for it'.
It would be an ok vehicle for a young driver to drive locally to go flip burgers or something, but I wouldn't consider it a "College or University" vehicle. This one needs to stay close to home.
No one in our immediate family of "Ford haters" is interested!

I flip a lot of cars and I use the current market to base my prices on.

If I'm selling a 02 740il I'll search my year/make/model in local facebook marketplace and craigslist and check out the ads for the same cars currently for sale.

I'll compare the condition of mine, how much work I put into mine. You don't really get what you put into them sometimes, which helps you price out if a flip or selling is worth it.

I make sure I run mine through our state inspection first as well.

I leave it on my insurance and registration so people can drive it and take it to a shop or another mechanic to look it over. (My goal is they become my customers so I make sure the cars aren't ****boxes that I sell)

I also make sure I print out the carfax and list every single thing wrong with it I know. Listing the "bad" takes away bargaining power. You already disclosed all the bad, but you have a price.

Photos sell cars!

I detail/clean the crap out of them and take pictures at a nice park. I make videos of them. I take pictures of all the "defects". Pictures pictures pictures. Make the car look like you took care of it and took pride in taking care of it. Make sure it smells good also.

@Roont You could buy this one "as is" for a wholesale price and do all of that to it, flip it and then make yourself a few bucks. By the way we don't have vehicle inspection in our state. Also it has never been exposed to ANY corrosive road salt.

1994 and older here also no inspection.

I haven't bought anything that old yet (actually I bought a 92 accord wagon that I want to fix to keep heehee, but I'll never get around to it ughhhhhh)

So I'm not sure if that's a good or bad selling point in NJ where I am. I think it may be good for those that never want to fix anything and just getting by every week like I was in my early 20s.

Every time I see something so rust free getting scrapped I die inside haha. I honestly spend many hours combined a week at work just freeing/cutting/heating rusted parts 😭

Back