• Register Today It's free!

Is a cold air intake worth it?

Car-Dog

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4
Hey I was just wondering what you guys thought of putting a cold air intake on 4 liter ranger. I was also wondering if volant or AEM intakes are any good, i just dont have the money for a K&N.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess an even better question is what is the cheapest intake available that is still worth the $$$$$.

BTW Damonkr, sweet truck:thumbsup:

Don't have this one yet but plan on getting it.
CAI.jpg

Available at jcwhitney, here's the link, http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...Id-100000530403/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000530403

Yeah the one that I posted is actually advertised to have better performance than a K&N on my X anyways I'm not sure about others.

I have a K&N on my '06 SOHC - it does make a difference.

They advertise 13 hp, but I did not put it on a dyno. There is a noticeable difference.

Whats the difficulty factor of Installing a cold air intake in a Ranger? I have a 4.0 V6 and I am contemplating getting on (probably next spring) and I want to know how difficult a process it is... I'm definitley not very modification-savvy. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

That intake that Jordan posted looks pretty sweet. Does anyone know if it's any good. And what do you guys think about Volant intakes?

those big name intakes are more show then go. yes they are alot prettier to look at but for $300 + is it really work it?

I put intakes on all my cars, i like the sound and it does give a little more "pep" but im sure the actualy dyno gains are minimal.

anyways the stock rubber intake tube is fairly large in diameter about 3" i believe thats about the same diameter as the aftermarket ones.

i got my intake for about $24 the fit/ease of installation was excellent. i still got the distinctive sound and peppy feeling.

pretty much what it is, is a metal adapter that bolts to the filter side of the MAF sensore and allows a 4" cone open element filter to be attached. comes with all hardware and brackets.

heres the link to what i purchased
intake link

Hey I was just wondering what you guys thought of putting a cold air intake on 4 liter ranger. I was also wondering if volant or AEM intakes are any good, i just dont have the money for a K&N.

Thanks

stock intake on (at least 2nd Gen) rangers are already "cold air." It has an enclosed system that takes air from outside the engine compartment (next to your passenger side headlights inside the grill).

Save your money unless you want lounder sound. Or just buy a catback.

While the 2nd gen systems may be "cold air", they are much more restrictive than an open-element system.

An engine is really just an air pump, and the less restrictive the intake air flow is, the less power will be consumed sucking air into the pump.

Also, some of the newer cold air kits come with ducting (from the MAF to the TB) that are tuned for optimized airflow.

Another really nice feature is never having to buy an air filter again.

that is true. But for the 2.9, 3.0, and 4.0 engines, unless you have done some porting, headers and perhaps exhaust its not doing you any good. infact, it could actually hurt overall performance. The stock intake gives more than enough air for stock engines.

also, most of these aftermarket intakes still suck a lot of air from the engine bay, and make it easier to suck water into you engine.

I put one of these in my 01 sport, the guy who sells them runs the sporttrac website. He mad one custom for me since I have a job1 motor. Great guy, a real pro, and way cheaper than the big boys. The system works great, kinda looks like a mac, except aluminum, not chrome. Runs about 160, non oil filter, great deal...http://www.zabteck.com/coldair.htm

ive put cone filter on 3 cars. ive never bought a rip off intake kit. just fab up your own adapters and buy a universal k&n to the demensions you want. why spend around 300 bucks on an intake kit when you can make one for around 40. there wont be any difference in performance. rangers barely make any more power from an intake anyways so buying an actual kit is not worth it to me. if you have the money and no skills, then buy one. ive put an intake on my truck, my dads f350 powerstroke, and a ford focus. they all work great. the biggest to benefit was deff the powerstroke. the focus got more noisy and my truck is louder and is a little quicker. from getting rid of the air silencer that was on the stock airbox, my truck will howl real loud at idle on hot or humid days. its greats really annoying when going around town having to stop at redlights all the time and my trucks intake is loud as hell. i think its from the flow of air hitting the mass air flow sensor just right.

another reason i like k&n style clamp on filters is theyre sealed up alot nicer than the crappy airbox design. almost everyones airbox i have seen has a layer of dirt on the plastic on the supposed to be clean side. youll deff suck dirt in some form with an airbox. i always keep my k&n oiled and cleaned and never had a problem. ive driven on plenty of flooded and wet road with water flying everywhere and never had a problem sucking water or getting a wet filter.

hey 47knuckle- the reason you hear a "howling" sound at idle when it's warm may be from the Idle Air Control. do a search on IAC ;)

and to all else- I have a drop-in K&N filter, the kind that goes into the factory box. I think it works great! throttle response is way improved, and there isn't much difference between K&N and no filter based on "seat-of-the-pants" dyno. I don't see changing the factory intake tube to an aftermarket one making much of a difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they're more for the owners to look at than performance. On small engines like the Ranger powerplants, there is no dyno gain. I spent years tuning Mustangs and the butt-dyno is nothing more than your brain making you try to feel good about buying something. The car isn't any faster. There are a lot of mods you could do that will give you much more bang for your buck than a CAI.

Just my .02 on CAI's.

Back