Is a heated windshield available on the 2020+ explorers and if so what trim level? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is a heated windshield available on the 2020+ explorers and if so what trim level?

I decided to run a relay right behind the battery and trigger it from the heated mirror. I only need to pull 1 wire thru the grommet and splice it into the hot wire for the passenger mirror. By doing it this way, the heated windshield will only be active when the heated mirrors/rear defrost are active and I don't have to worry about overloading the circuit because of the relay. All I need to do now is find the hot side of the heated mirror circuit for the passenger door. Also I would like to find and purchase the other side of the connector that the windshield plugs into, that way if I ever need to replace the windshield again, I can just plug it in.

So if anyone has access to the wiring diagram for the heated mirror circuit, that would help alot. Also if anyone knows where I can buy the connector I mentioned, it would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well done, I was going to suggest a relay after your prior post, but you've got it. You can use any of the wires that are fed for the defrost circuit, as a trigger wire only they will be low current.

Finding that pigtail connector may be tough, as a very rare feature it may not be made. But you can hunt one from a wrecked car, that might be quicker.

For the connector I would either check with your Ford dealers parts department or a company like Safe Light that does windshield replacements.

Well done, I was going to suggest a relay after your prior post, but you've got it. You can use any of the wires that are fed for the defrost circuit, as a trigger wire only they will be low current.

Finding that pigtail connector may be tough, as a very rare feature it may not be made. But you can hunt one from a wrecked car, that might be quicker.
I just had to think it thru and I came up with basically the same conclusion.. I could have made a stand alone circuit, but then I would have had to mount a switch somewhere and include some type of timer to prevent accidentally leaving it on. The other option is to tie it into the heated mirrors thus mimicking the original circuit. By tying in, I can use the factory timer and I can shut it off early if I choose.

For anyone with a 2020 st , I had a new windshield put in and pulled the top section above the battery. The windshield is plugged into a harness so I enabled it in forscan. I'll post an update next time it snows....

20220313_182652.jpg

If you don't want to wait, unplug it and put a volt meter on the harness side and turn on the rear defrost. If you get 12 v when the defrost is on you should be good.

For anyone with a 2020 st , I had a new windshield put in and pulled the top section above the battery. The windshield is plugged into a harness so I enabled it in forscan. I'll post an update next time it snows....

I am not following you... 2020 STs have the windshield park heater as standard, no? Why do you have to enable it in Forscan? It's just like the spray for the cameras...just a standard feature that was axed in the first round of cost cutting.

I am not following you... 2020 STs have the windshield park heater as standard, no? Why do you have to enable it in Forscan? It's just like the spray for the cameras...just a standard feature that was axed in the first round of cost cutting.
I can't say if the factory-installed windshield had the element in it because i never checked, but it was definitely disabled in forscan

I don't think it was standard on all 20's, it only came with the cold weather package. The op probably did not have it, but since his is a 20, he got the wiring. Once he acquired the correct windshield, all he had to do was plug it in and turn it on thru forscan. It would be nice if ford left the wiring there on the 21's and 22's then the rest of us could do the same, but they didn't.

While I was at the dealer Friday getting the camera recall done, I checked with the parts dept to see if I could buy the connector. Anyway, nada on the connector. They did tell me that I would have to buy the entire underhood section of the harness. ford actually lists two different ones and one of them has a pigtail in the vicinity of where the windshield plugs in, so my guess is that is the one we need, but I wasn't willing to shell out over 1K for it.

So I found my sticker. It is listed as having it, however it was disabled in forscan.

Screenshot_20220313-233325_Gallery.jpg

I don't think it was standard on all 20's, it only came with the cold weather package. The op probably did not have it, but since his is a 20, he got the wiring. Once he acquired the correct windshield, all he had to do was plug it in and turn it on thru forscan. It would be nice if ford left the wiring there on the 21's and 22's then the rest of us could do the same, but they didn't.

While I was at the dealer Friday getting the camera recall done, I checked with the parts dept to see if I could buy the connector. Anyway, nada on the connector. They did tell me that I would have to buy the entire underhood section of the harness. ford actually lists two different ones and one of them has a pigtail in the vicinity of where the windshield plugs in, so my guess is that is the one we need, but I wasn't willing to shell out over 1K for it.
Windshield wiper deicer was standard on 2020 Explorers … The feature was deleted on 2021+ Explorers.

Windshield wiper deicer was standard on 2020 Explorers … The feature was deleted on 2021+ Explorers.
It was not listed under the Standard Equip title on my 2020XLT window sticker. But, it was listed under Optional Equip as part of my Cold Wx package.

It was not listed under the Standard Equip title on my 2020XLT window sticker. But, it was listed under Optional Equip as part of my Cold Wx package.
Windshield wiper deicer was listed under standard Equipment on 2020 Limited, Platinum and ST Explorers. It was not Standard equipment on the XLT. My previous post I was not specific enough on which models received the windshield wiper deicer as standard equipment

Here is a screen shot from my window sticker, 2nd to last line first column on the left, windshield wiper de-icer.
TBill
Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 8.30.52 AM.png

Here is a screen shot from my window sticker, 2nd to last line first column on the left, windshield wiper de-icer.
TBill
View attachment 427358
Does it work ? Mine was disabled in forscan . The only reason I could think why was when I got mine it had the battery drain issue and they said they needed to reprogram my truck with an update. Update was probably for the newer version where it was turned off already.

Does it work ? Mine was disabled in forscan . The only reason I could think why was when I got mine it had the battery drain issue and they said they needed to reprogram my truck with an update. Update was probably for the newer version where it was turned off already.
That’s an excellent question to ask the dealership.

Who knows about the Forscan setting. The only way to know if yours worked is trying it on a cold, snowy day. Unfortunately, most will not even appreciate that it's there which maybe be why they axed it. To me, it's a luxury feature, just like the headlight/camera sprays.

I have a 6/2019 build and it is listed as standard equipment also.

That’s an excellent question to ask the dealership.
Gonna pass on telling the dealership I'm playing around in forscan ..... I'll take it as a win that figured it out myself ....

A1221F94-F87F-44A7-A990-793548C86556.jpeg

Replaced my battery so got a chance to snap a pic of the windshield wiper park heater cable. the plug comes off the fat wire bundle below it that you can't see in the pic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back