Is it ok to leave front driveshaft off a AWD??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it ok to leave front driveshaft off a AWD???

would using the parking brake make any difference in this matter or would it creep anyway?

The parking brake will prevent it from creeping because they act directly at the rear wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Id use it but it dont work sadly......lol. have to fix that darn bugger one of days. But i got another front driveshaft and Im putting it in tomarrow. Thanks for all your help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my 97 v8 awd did he same thing but what i am puzzled about is with the front shaft out why doesnt the parking pawl work as i have to block the rear tire with a wheel chock to keep the truck in front of my house

my 97 v8 awd did he same thing but what i am puzzled about is with the front shaft out why doesnt the parking pawl work as i have to block the rear tire with a wheel chock to keep the truck in front of my house

the parking prawl works.
but due to the front output not being attached to anything, it allows the viscous coupling to "slip" which causes the truck to roll.

Hi everyone! I have a 96 AWD that rumbled during acceleration. I removed the front shaft and drove it until I could remove the transfer case and replace the chain. With the front shaft removed, the vehicle would roll if placed on a small incline. Other than that, I had no problems. Drove it for six month until I replaced the chain and that was 100k miles ago. Chain replacement was easy! It just takes a few hours.

Back