• Register Today It's free!

Is it the starter ???

cmayna

Reaction score
City, State
Menlo Park, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB & 97 Sport
My son's 91 EB suddenly decided to not turn over. I first tried jumping..nada..wont crank over. I then replaced his battery with mine from my 96 eb...again nada..no crank. Had a AAA guy come out and he also tried to jump..nada.

The only thing you hear is a single click just once. He pointed to the starter relay and said to replace it which I just did and still nothing.....What else can it be ? Am I looking at a new starter ? Are they a bear to replace ?

Happy Father's Day to me:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a good possibility its the starter, you should also check the cables running to the starter its possible on of them is bad. If it turns out to be the starter its real easy to replace. 2 bolts hold it in and there is one more bolt on the back for the wires. the starter can be changed in less than an hour.

Replace the battery terminal ends..Pretty cheap.If not it still could be the starter. You could remove the starter and "bench test" it with jumper cables.

Are the battery cables original?? They rot on the inside, especially the first gen models. Also, besides the starter solenoid on the fender wall, there is also a relay built into the starter itself....

Thanks to everyone's suggestion, I replaced the starter today and it worked. Now my son can give my '96 eb back to me and drive his own eb.

Thanks everyone

Back