Is it worthy to drop a new /used engine or rebuild? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it worthy to drop a new /used engine or rebuild?

I was told the con-rod bolts must be changed

• I looked for them with ARP the do not make them for a 4.6L Romeo.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have engine still installed

• Can I get bearing thicker inside and outside diameter

• Total voters

Albert G. Nairn

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4 V8
My 2002 Explorer Xlt awd has been the best vehicle ever . I have taken very good care of it and has never let me down. I have lent it to one of my brothers who has not been so kind he used it for 7 months put on 55000 miles not a oil change and lied to me that he had I got her back took in for oil change an the oil was changed by mistake it was a thicker oil than oem so i added some lucas treatment which was fine until a week later I spun a bearing .Two actually side by side .I dropped the oil pan and first thing I see is Oil pump screen is blocked solid. I was running like a top until the lifter noise and a couple miles from home . Any ways I take off the obvious bearings that were deformed and con rod bolts were somewhat loose . I cleaned up journal there was some scratch came out easy .so really just a couple bearings damage. What are my chances of bearing replacement on all con rod bearings as I only took those caps off and try to get some mileage before I can make time to get it done by pro engine company.. Any information on my issue from a another with the knowledge would be a great help I wan to keep on truckin with this ford for many more miles .It getting up in age,So people think it's a new vehicle .It is that nice ,too nice to junk or part out

ea07cb8dfef1ae4387ec59ef5c4484ed.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn’t consider replacing only some of the bearings. If you are in there do it right. I’m sure they make oversized bearings. I’d be leery of a home ‘polished’ crank with it done installed. How did you clean it up?

Nice looking rig.

If your intention is to keep it. I would install a new engine. Buy a long block from Ford Have the transmission rebuilt while it's out and keep on trucking..

A long block from Ford HAS to be ridiculously expensive. Way better of rebuilding a good core at a quality builder. It’d be cheaper and you’d get a better motor.

Also, I see no reason to rebuild the transmission ‘just because’. If it shifts fine, I surely wouldn’t touch it.

That's a nice truck.If that is a recent picture,I would keep it.Find yourself a good engine builder and just fix what you have.

The oil pickup screen was blocked? With what? Sludge? After an oil change? Who put in the wrong oil? A shop? And then you had them put in Lucas oil treatment instead of just changing out for the correct oil? Whose idea was that, and why? And if they put in the wrong oil and that somehow caused engine damage, why aren't they paying for the rebuild?

Sorry, but this story is just hard to fathom, including your apparent certainty (based on what?) that your brother lied to you . . . .

Also agree the Lucas treatment to correct the wrong weight oil is beyond ridiculous. If my brother lied about changing the oil, or had it done wrong, he’d be buying the rebuild.

Back