is the blend door problem only for manual climate control? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is the blend door problem only for manual climate control?

ThunderB

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB 4.0 SOHC
Just bought a '98 EB and researching the problems to look out for. Doe sthe blend door problem occur on the automatic climate control trucks or just the manual climate controls? Most of the posts I have seen mention the manual control lever getting stiff and I don't have a manual lever on my EB X.

B

The blend door actuator female shaft breaking affects both manual and automatic controlled a/cs. I have auto on my '96, and the shaft broke.

What are your symptoms? From memory, Ford changed the design somewhere around '98, and it wasn't much of an issue after that.

no sysmptoms on mine, just seemed like common problem to look out for. I bought my Explorer partially because of reviews I saw were positive, then, after I bought it, I started researching this site and found numerous high-dollar repairs that seem way to common. I'm lovin the truck, even though the wife picked it out for herself. We need something reliable and can't afford costly repairs.

B

Yes, the blend door issue applies to auto temp control equipped Explorers too. But on the bright side, you can do a free fix for that.

Back