Is there any benefits of bypassing the heater? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there any benefits of bypassing the heater?

L.A.X

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB
I have a leak somewhere from the heater core area? I pulled the heater core out but heater core looks good. Can I just rip it out and just connect both heater hoses together? I live in California, so there really is no reason to have a heater. The Ex is not a daily driver. I remember doing this on my 5.0 Mustang. The only difference was that since replacing the heater core in the Stang was such a hassle, I didnt want to mess with taking apart the dash. Is there any benefit as far as cooling better by doing this? What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Removing the heater core won't do much if the rest of your cooling system is working correctly, but it does dissipate some heat from the motor.

I have a leak somewhere from the heater core area? I pulled the heater core out but heater core looks good. Can I just rip it out and just connect both heater hoses together? I live in California, so there really is no reason to have a heater. The Ex is not a daily driver. I remember doing this on my 5.0 Mustang. The only difference was that since replacing the heater core in the Stang was such a hassle, I didnt want to mess with taking apart the dash. Is there any benefit as far as cooling better by doing this? What do you guys think?

Short answer, yes, connecting the hoses together is fine.

In 1994 Ford put in a heater control bypass valve that basically did that. When there was no need for hot water in the heater box it would route the water from the intake back to the water pump, bypassing the heater core..

Many 1991-1993 X's have added that valve. Since it doesn't block 100% of the coolant that wouldn't work for you..

~Mark

Also, keep in mind, while you may not need "heat" per se, what about an effective defroster on occasion? Sometimes, you just can't get the window "de-fogged" without some warm air.

As JDraper pointed out, it can dissipate a small amount of engine heat. I've actually used the heat cranked up to max, blower on high, to limp an overheating vehicle home. So, it can be useful in an emergency as well.There is certainly no performance benefit to removing/bypassing it, other maybe a slight improvement in a/c cooling efficiency, but you can duplicate that by adding a heater control valve from a '94 & up.

Why not just replace it? It should cost less then $20 for a new heater core, from Rock Auto. If you "need" it for something, once a year, its worth $20 to have it functioning.

Also, keep in mind, while you may not need "heat" per se, what about an effective defroster on occasion? Sometimes, you just can't get the window "de-fogged" without some warm air.

As JDraper pointed out, it can dissipate a small amount of engine heat. I've actually used the heat cranked up to max, blower on high, to limp an overheating vehicle home. So, it can be useful in an emergency as well.There is certainly no performance benefit to removing/bypassing it, other maybe a slight improvement in a/c cooling efficiency, but you can duplicate that by adding a heater control valve from a '94 & up.

Why not just replace it? It should cost less then $20 for a new heater core, from Rock Auto. If you "need" it for something, once a year, its worth $20 to have it functioning.
I pulled an replaced the heater core last year so I know its good. Just have to track this leak.

Mines been bypassed for years. I have no need for heat. Brass coupler connecting the 2 hoses together.

Back