• Register Today It's free!

Is there fan clutch ?

PROTEUS

Reaction score
City, State
El Salvador, America Central
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 91 XL
I have a 1991 Exp, the fan runs everytime , still when I start the Exp on cold time, there´s not any electrical conection attached to the fan ... so, I thougt it doesn´t use electrical fan clutch !! , but I have readed some related threads and I have noticed that this Explorer model use fan clutch !!

Am I right ?

What can I do to install a clutch if it is needed ?

Thanks for your replies !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The van clutch is a viscous coupling style. Meaning there are no electrical connections, but as the fluid gets hot, it gets thicker, thus allowing less slippage between the drive pulley of the fan and the actual fan.

The last numbers I saw were 10% reduction is max fan speed per year (with average of 20k miles/year).

I don't know how acruate the 10% reduction is (heck, I read it on the 'net)

Either way, its not hard to replace the fan clutch... (just need a few tools).. The hardest part is holding the pulley while you turn the big nut to take off the fan.

~Mark

Uh ! very interesting !!! :eek:

I didn't know that ... but , a mechanic center changed the fan, one year ago. In that moment changed the fan clutch , too ?

Whether the fan clutch was changed, why does it always running still when the motor is cold ??? ,must it be so ?

These viscous coupled fan clutches don't "sit still" when the engine is running. They still spin, but the speed of the fan changes as engine temperature changes.

Uh !! I have cleared my doubt ! , thanks a lot !

Back