Is there such a thing as quality lug nuts anymore? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there such a thing as quality lug nuts anymore?

Does anyone know of any quality chrome lug nuts that won't rust? Thirty years ago chrome lug nuts actually had decent chrome on them and they might start rusting after 20 years instead of after a week like the ones today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The chrome Gorilla brand lugs (both chrome acorn style and "socket" anti-theft or "tuner" style) I got with some wheels a few years ago have held up amazingly well, and are completely rust free. I was worried for awhile when I noticed the rust from the lugs made it's way onto the lugnuts, and even noticed it looked like they were rusting over pretty heavy on the outside too...but...cleaning them off, I found the "rust" actually just peeled off the slick chrome like a sticker! :eek: The chrome doesn't chip, scratch, or have a mark on it. I suspect they are double/triple chrome plated or something. Probably the last lugnuts I'll ever need. :thumbsup:

For factory wheels, I prefer the open-end stock lugnuts, though. Lets you know they're well over the threads, and most of them have a wheel center cap anyway. Plus aftermarket lugnuts usually aren't the same size as the factory supplied lug wrench, which should probably be replaced with one that fits before a flat happens.

Problem with the new lugnuts is that the chrome coating gets cut and chipped by the lug wrench... Then all hell breaks loose! :D

Gorilla Lugs

I'd really have to say gorilla lugs are the best from what I've heard. I don't know what this forums policies are on linking to other forums, but I could link to a thread where people had this same discussion and as I remember it was pretty much unanimous that anyone who had gorilla lugs were extremely happy with them, myself included.

I use Gorilla lugnuts with my summer alloy wheel and tire combo. They have held up great, and were about $1 each from a local tire place.

How about the McGard brand? The locking lugnuts I use with the above Gorilla lugnuts have held up great also.

Does anyone know of any quality chrome lug nuts that won't rust? Thirty years ago chrome lug nuts actually had decent chrome on them and they might start rusting after 20 years instead of after a week like the ones today.
I've used several brands of chromed lug nuts over the past years. All brands from tire store specials to Gorilla would rust in about a year. I live in Eastern Washington state. The municipalities stopped using salt in the winter many years ago but do use an ice preventing solution that does raise havoc with other parts of vehicles. On my 1997 XLT, I replaced the OEM covered nuts with chromed ones from McGard, including their locking nuts. I ran the wheels year around and the lugs never did rust. Sold the vehicle a couple years back and replaced it with a CPO 2015 Sport. First thing to go into the recycle bin were the OEM lug nuts. I replaced these with McGard's including locks and they look pristine after 3 years use. The McGard's aren't low in cost, but if they continue to retain their luster, its worth the price to me.

Back