• Register Today It's free!

Is this bad gas mileage

05explorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
My 05 XLT 4.0 with 88K miles on the odometer is getting about 11 miles per gallon with city driving. Is this about normal for these vehicles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its bad mileage, but it is average for our vehicle. I average 13mpg with 50/50 city and highway. I hear lots of stories where people are getting similar to yours and mine all the time.

Wow,That is pretty bad,i have an 03 eddie edition and ive never got that low,but i dont have a heavy foot in it either,i currently have 95k miles with a new oil change,oil,and airfilter in city i get about 14-17 but if i cruise on the interstate at 65-70 i get alittle over 20-21 MPG thats keeping the rpms at 2k or under..maybe you need to do a fluid change oil ,plugs etc or maybe new o2 sensors?maybe its running rich not sure though just an idea

Its bad mileage, but it is average for our vehicle. I average 13mpg with 50/50 city and highway..

That's about the MPG I get in the city or lower and on the Thruway going 70 MPH or so, I get around 15-17 MPG having the 3.55 'Open' gears in the rear diff. I just changed my spark plugs from single platinum Autolite's #AP103 to Double Platinum Autolite #APP103 and they didn't make that much of a difference on gas mileage.

I just got my 04 xlt about 4 months ago and i was worried about the gas milage a lot.. i traded in a 99 lexus rx300 that was my baby... i drive about 50/50 and on the last fill up i got 19 miles per gallon. which is exactly what i got on my rx300 soo i am actually pretty happy about that.. but i do keep it at 2k as much as possible if not under and i dont have a heavy foot either i dont think iv seen it over 3.5k and that was when i was merging... i think you def need to do an oil change.. what gears do you have in it?

City mileage varies dramatically so we really can't compare each others city MPG. Driving in LA city traffic vs. some less congested cities with few stoplights won't be the same. I've gotten anywhere from 9mpg to 15 in the "city" depending on the situation and location.

I had a 2000 Mountaineer V8 AWD, now I have an '05 Aviator. Both get almost exactly same mileage around my normal route. 13.5mpg.

That's about the MPG I get in the city or lower and on the Thruway going 70 MPH or so, I get around 15-17 MPG having the 3.55 'Open' gears in the rear diff. I just changed my spark plugs from single platinum Autolite's #AP103 to Double Platinum Autolite #APP103 and they didn't make that much of a difference on gas mileage.

When changing plugs I've noticed the same thing. Both my vehicles had about 140k miles when I got them and both seemed to have original plugs and wires. Even though the plugs were worn half way down, it didn't seem to make a bit of difference in mpg or operation. Maybe just a "bit" smoother.

I get between 15-18 MPG, doing 30/70 city/highway. I don't accelerate very fast, just ease my foot on the pedal and let the vehicle go how it goes. On the highway, I try to just drive the speed limit (60-70) and use cruise control whenever it makes sense to. I also end up keeping the RPM's around 2k doing this. I drive a 2005 XLT 4X4 w/ 66k on the odometer. Fully maintained by my local Ford dealership (I know...). Just recently completed the 60k servicing and to me, it feels like it's getting closer to 18 MPG since that was completed. YMMV, and it is correct that city driving may not be comparable due to the differences in city lights, layout, etc. that cause it to be different.

I would personally recommend highway MPG as your testing ground due to that difference. If you are able to drive at a constant speed and possibly reset the MPG display on your message center (do you have that option even?) and take a look at how your vehicle does over 10-20 miles or so it should give you a decent indication of how things are.

Please keep in mind that the "health" of your engine bay and the inflation level of your tires will also impact this. Also, if you are heavy on the pedal that will also suck gas from your tank like there's no tomorrow...

I just got my 04 xlt about 4 months ago and i was worried about the gas milage a lot.. i traded in a 99 lexus rx300 that was my baby... i drive about 50/50 and on the last fill up i got 19 miles per gallon. which is exactly what i got on my rx300 soo i am actually pretty happy about that.. but i do keep it at 2k as much as possible if not under and i dont have a heavy foot either i dont think iv seen it over 3.5k and that was when i was merging... i think you def need to do an oil change.. what gears do you have in it?

I have no clue what factory gears are in it. The truck use to average about 17 with town and city driving but now it is at 11 MPG. Probably time to do some fluid changes along with plugs and plug wires. Thanks everyone for the help.

i would also recommend the air box mod that can be found on this forum using the search.. i didnt do the whole mod with cutting holes in the air box but i did take out the soo called silencer in the front of the air box.. this gained me about 2 mpg... idk who designed the air box on the gen 3s but butting it right up to the back of the headlight doesnt seem like the best design.. anyway yes a fluid change, and full tune up wouldnt hurt.. also try cleaning the maf senser.. and when your done doing all of that stuff reset everything by unplugging your battery for about 15 minutes then when you re connect your battery let your car idle for about 10 min so your system can get all of its base readings.. this also helped my gas milage

11 MPG sounds awfully low, unless you're doing a TON of idling, or driving extremely fast with lots of high-rev shifting.

Mine gets about 18 in the summer (50/50 highway). It drops to about 16 in the winter. Drops way down when towing my utility trailer full of firewood.

2004 4.0 170,000 miles and minimal maintenance...

Mike

Mpg

When I first got my 2004 XLT 4.0 (3.55 gear) about a year ago, I was not happy with the gas mileage. I had been driving a 2000 4.0 for about 5 years and always got 20 mpg average. The 04 was getting about 15 city and 21 hwy. I changed air filter, pumped up tires to about 38, ran a can of seafoam thru tank and baby the throttle. Now get about 16.5 in city. I don't believe there is any secret formula, they are never going to be economy cars. But if you're only getting 11, somethings isn't right. I would run scan, and maybe try the things already mentioned here and earlier posts.

i would also recommend the air box mod that can be found on this forum using the search.. i didnt do the whole mod with cutting holes in the air box but i did take out the soo called silencer in the front of the air box.. this gained me about 2 mpg... idk who designed the air box on the gen 3s but butting it right up to the back of the headlight doesnt seem like the best design.. anyway yes a fluid change, and full tune up wouldnt hurt.. also try cleaning the maf senser.. and when your done doing all of that stuff reset everything by unplugging your battery for about 15 minutes then when you re connect your battery let your car idle for about 10 min so your system can get all of its base readings.. this also helped my gas milage

Those are some great tips. Thanks.

Back