Is THIS the 4.0 SOHC Primary Chain Tensioner ???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is THIS the 4.0 SOHC Primary Chain Tensioner ????

Katmandu

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Is part #10 (pictured below) the Primary Chain Tensioner and is this Part covered under the 01M01 Recall ???

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's parts 8 and 10 that make up the tensioner assembly but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm thinking 8 would be a guide, while 10 would be the tensioner, going by rotation direction, the loose side of the chain, where a tensioner would be mounted is where 10 sits. never had the umm err, priveledge of working on an sohc, but from past experience tensioners are located on the 'push' or return side of the chain.

ken.

merc2dogs said:
I'm thinking 8 would be a guide, while 10 would be the tensioner... ken.
Are these parts covered under the 10M01 RECALL ??

merc2dogs said:
I'm thinking 8 would be a guide, while 10 would be the tensioner, going by rotation direction, the loose side of the chain, where a tensioner would be mounted is where 10 sits. never had the umm err, priveledge of working on an sohc, but from past experience tensioners are located on the 'push' or return side of the chain.

ken.

If a vehicle with the 4.0SOHC is making the "Diesel clattering" noise on cold start up AND upon accellerating (NOT Detonation!), which part would MOST likely be going bad ???

The Tensioner OR the guide ??

The Chain and Cassette that needs to be replaced is number 6, although replacing 7 and 8 is not a bad idea while your in there.

RickOTR said:
The Chain and Cassette that needs to be replaced is number 6, although replacing 7 and 8 is not a bad idea while your in there.
Those are the parts that where covered under 00M12 Recall campaign. Correct ??

If so, those where performed on my 98 already. The service Mgr. stated if the "Diesel-like" noise grew louder, then the Jack Chain Tensioner or Guide where going bad and would need replaced.

Any idea on how much it "should" cost to do ??

The tensioners are shown in your picture, but neither one is numbered. They look like large bolts. They enter each head from the passenger side of each head. The front tensioner goes in at the right top front corner, and the rear tensioner goes in at the right top rear of the head.

They aren't very expensive. There is an internal spring, and oil pressure helps them. I believe the springs wear out. My rear tensioner was definately bed, but the front one felt okay. Good luck,

:fire:
CDW6212R said:
The tensioners are shown in your picture, but neither one is numbered. They look like large bolts. They enter each head from the passenger side of each head. The front tensioner goes in at the right top front corner, and the rear tensioner goes in at the right top rear of the head.

They aren't very expensive. There is an internal spring, and oil pressure helps them. I believe the springs wear out. My rear tensioner was definately bed, but the front one felt okay. Good luck,

Your correct. THAT is the Cam Chain Tensioner that IS covered under the 00M12 Recall.

I need to know if the "Jackshaft" Chain Tensioner and/or Guide are the parts covered under the 01M01 Recall. :cool:

I've had the "Cam" Chain Tensioner replaced already under 00M12 already. My 98 EX's engine rattle is coming from Lower in the engine bay. It''s growing louder FAST and I'm trying to find out if these are the parts that need replaced.

The Service Depts around here are both actually kinda CLUELESS and want you to give them a BLANK CHECK and say fix it! :fire: One Dealer around here is quoting $1600 to replace the Jackshaft Chain GUIDE and an additional $800 ($2400 Total) to replace that AND the jackshaft Chain TENSIONER. I say BULLSH1T! :fire: :mad: :thumbdwn:

The other Dealer around here is quoting me around $600-800 and most probably MORE!! :thumbdwn:

I do NOT agree with this "Exploratory Surgery" approach they suggest.

Anyways, the 1st Dealer I referred to wants to replace ANY and ALL parts they run into contact with!!! :mad: No ****!! The Service Mgr. stated....."Oh yea, BTW, I have another Explorer in here for the SAME problem right now. As a matter of fact, HERE is HIS quote in front of me.

I ask him for a hard copy of it. I take it home and read over it and sure enough, they are replacing EVERYTHING!! The Chains, the sprockets, Tensioner, Guides and whatever!!

Talk about LUDICIOUS. :fire: That's what gives Dealership Service Depts a bad name IMHO. :rolleyes:

Okay, it sounds like you have had the minor surgery done. The next step would be the front cam cassette then. The whole front of the engine has to come apart to get to it. I could post a picture, but you have some which show the parts arrangement.

Find someone who has the ability to do the front cam work, you know it takes a special tool kit. When that work is being done, have an inspection done to look at the jackshaft guide, the balance shaft tensioner(4WD), and the cam tensioner check valve. Purchase the jackshaft chain, and have them change it while it's apart.

Have them remove the plug next to the tensioner, and be sure that the check valve(long plastic solid tube) is in there. Those are part of that other TSB, and the check valve is supposed to hold pressure when off, for startup. Also have them recheck that front cam tensioner. If they can replace the rear cam tensioner, have them do it, it's not an expensive part. Mine was bad.

What you want to do is replace the cam cassette in front, plus the other inexpensive parts while it's apart. You want to be sure there aren't any particles in the oiling passages. Lastly you want to pray that the rear cassette holds together, that is the expensive repair. Good luck,

Yea, I've lost the Faith in my area's Service Depts. :rolleyes:

I know we're kinda jumping around on a couple threads here in this forum, but they are sorta different issues on this engine.

Anyways, check out my replies on THIS thread....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109343&page=2

What I "think" what I may do... is get a Mechanic buddy of mine to give me a hand and yank the engine out and inspect and replace whatever parts WE feel need to be replaced.

BTW, I "just" got the EX today as a hand-me-down from my WIFE! LMAO!! She lost faith in it and we are severely upside down financially on it, so I GOT IT! :thumbsup: :D :cool:

She BTW, just picked up a SWEET little Jeep Liberty. :p The new EXs were just way out of the ballpark (pricewise) for us right now. :rolleyes: :(

CDW6212R said:
Okay, it sounds like you have had the minor surgery done. The next step would be the front cam cassette then. The whole front of the engine has to come apart to get to it. I could post a picture, but you have some which show the parts arrangement.
Rant ON:

I had my EX at a Ford Service Dept last week and the deaf Mechanic there said he doesn't hear the noise!! Stupid &^%%*(!! They DID tighten up a loose convertor heat shield under the truck while it was there. NOW the start-up clatter is LOUDER than ever! UGH!!

Rant OFF:

I just want to fix this friggin thing myself and be done with it!

What all parts included in this "Cassette" ???

How is the Cassette changed out ??

question, what is the 4x4 balencer for...part # 11 on the photo? Its only on the sohc's not the 5.0 or the OHV...i can't figure it out, whats it do?

Katmandu, are you an accompleshed mechanic? The SOHC valvetrain is complicated, and the timing process is not difficult, but requires precise steps, which are well described in manuals. You must have the special SOHC tools to do any work on the cam drive system.

The biggest tip that I can give is to start with the engine at TDC, and not begin without the special tools/instructions. The parts are not very expensive. You may spend more on the special tools kit, than the parts.

Run a search in the forum to see if anyone has detailed the steps to do most of the work. We can help you decide which parts to replace, but actual pictures and instructions, will be invaluable. Regards,

Adam, the balancer that you mentioned is only on the SOHC 4x4 engines. A lot of engines have a firing order and angle of the heads, which doesn't naturally balance. Those engines often have a balancing shaft attached to the crank. I don't know why it isn't on the 2WD 4.0 liter engines. That's more interesting. Regards,

Back