Primary chain tensioner stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Primary chain tensioner stuck

Chris1957

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB explorer
This has happened on two different explorers I’ve looked at and this is the second time on mine. The primary chain tensioner is pushed all the way left and is stuck in that position with the top pin that holds the springs pushed over the top of the bracket causing barely any tension on the new chain put on recently. Any ideas what would repeatedly cause this to happen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you replace them with Motorcraft units?

to confirm, you are talking about the nylon primary chain guide, correct? im forgetting where the pin was located, can you provide a pic?

This has happened on two different explorers I’ve looked at and this is the second time on mine. The primary chain tensioner is pushed all the way left and is stuck in that position with the top pin that holds the springs pushed over the top of the bracket causing barely any tension on the new chain put on recently. Any ideas what would repeatedly cause this to happen?

745F14CA-9E33-4BE7-9677-E5901FA829D6.jpeg 195D1480-8DEC-400C-97BA-B06ED56BA650.jpeg

hmm thats odd, iirc mine was pretty taut and my chain has 300k on it and i didnt have thar issue iirc (and its been a little while) the leaves on my tensioner were pushed out more, but maybe it wasnt i dont quite remember... did they change sprockets or chains between 98 and 04? i assume not, but never know... sure is odd though, perhaps the leaves lost their arch? or once pressure i sbuilt does the chain get nice and tight and just runs off the center portion? i dont quite remeber its been a bit ;)

reassb.jpg
hmm... just saw this and it says otherwise, chain looks tight! not sure then

It appears a slight backwards rotation causes this tensioner to lock open. My explorer had a hard start condition due to a leaking injector and would sometimes spit and cough fail to start on the first try. This is probably when this would roll backwards and lock this open. I could reproduce this with a ratchet turning the crank backwards not even a half rev would cause this. I’m going to put a new tensioner on it and see if it does the same thing so easily.

Back