• Register Today It's free!

Is this too good to be true

airkevin23

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats a fine price... they cost about that much

Well then why do all the shops say to put one in is about $1000, is that all labor?

It seems to me that the Ebay one takes your altenator and rewinds it up to the higher amperage. The other site , you just buy from them. I have always wondered about that Ebay one myself.. Somebody on this site has posted a good place to get high performance alts from, but I just don't remember at this time. Doing a search might help. Mike

$1000 you have to be kidding me!? seriously, you could do a whole 5.0l engine swap for not too much more than that!

I've talked to a couple shops and they said they'll do it for a little under $1000

Ok basically I need to redo all the wires running from my battery because they are just about fried and a new alternator. How much do you think this will all cost if I do it myself?

Figure about $200 for the alternator, spend $30 on a new serpentine belt while you're at it.

For new wire to your alternator, spend about $25, and any misc connectors and smaller wires would be another $25. You can get all of the wiring supplies at Autozone or Pep Boys, but the best wire is purchased at marine stores (resists corrosion and heat MUCH better). Use heat shrink tubing on your crimps.

DIY is the only way to go.

I paid about $250 with trade in for my 200 amp alternator. That was from a local shop. The alternator is bigger than the origional so you have to move the heater hose and a wire harness slightly. I have been planning to redo all my wireing from Alt to Battery to Winch while upgrading to bigger wires and all gold connectors. Figured it wouldn't cost more than $50 to do myself. (Electronics is my profession). The shop that did my Alternator quoted me about $200-250 to replace all wiring, depending on what connectors I wanted.

PowerMaster Motorsports sells 200 amp alternators for about $500.00.

That's the route I was planning on taking, but I'm gonna look at that second site posted up there.

Back