issues with rear drum brakes

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
my ranger has rear drums.

lately the drums feel like they were dragging and i noticed my pedal has been very low and i havent been getting effective braking. Also when the truck would sit in the driveway for an extended period of time with the Parking brake engaged the shoes would seize to the drum.

Other wise the parking brake engages and disengages freely and holds the truck on an incline fine.

i went ahead and replaced the drums, shoes, and hardware on both wheels.

i made sure the parts matched and were correct. but now with the self-sdjusting star wheel completely bottomed out(retracted) the drums on both wheels REALLY drag against the shoes to the point i need two hands to turn them.

any ideas?

You may have buy a wrong size shoes. As far as I know, there are 2 sizes on the drum. It is either a 9 inch or 10 inches.

Just my .02...

sorry, didn't see the list of your vehicles. I am pretty sure you have 10inches. If the expansion adjuster completly retracted, you need to screw it back in to get it loosen. I normally adjust the adjustment by turning the expansion screw with the drum off and put it back on and turn the drum making sure it only get very little shoe touching the drum. I was told that the brake adjust it self by driving backward and stump on the pedal.

good luck,

Al

yea i have 10 inch drums, and i double checked with the parts store that they gave me the correct application which they did.

Back