issues with x... no heat, temp gauge on high | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

issues with x... no heat, temp gauge on high

bradsx

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ex 4x4
hi, its cold here -12f and -30 wind chill. i let the explorer warm up and when i started to drive home my temp gauge went to H and no heat in truck. i pulled over and put in park and gauge went down to normal. drove rest of way home and gauge stayed normal maybe a little higher. check antifreeze overflow and it was normal. whats my problem, thermastat not opening up??
thanks for the info and help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it could be that your coolant froze up a bit and then thawed out. get it checked to make sure it's good to -34 to -40 F. another possibility is that the thermostat was stuck in the closed position and later opened. in any event, get if figured out because overheating the engine can blow head gaskets and warp the heads.

i think it is the antifreeze. tested it with tube bulbs. how do i get it to be better colder?? do i have to drain all out and refill with antifreeze. i add 50/50 when needed to top off if necessary thanks

If it were mine, I would drain out enough coolant to be able to add a half gallon of anti freeze, then top off with drained mixture. Remember, too much antifreeze is not good either.

i think it is the antifreeze. tested it with tube bulbs. how do i get it to be better colder?? do i have to drain all out and refill with antifreeze. i add 50/50 when needed to top off if necessary thanks

you need to first find out where your at. 50/50 should be good to -34'ish F. if you're above that, it would depend how much above that you are. you could drain out a half gallon and put in 100% antifreeze instead of draining it all out.

thanks talk to autoparts guy and dug further i purchased a new thermastat. i believe its stuck. once it heats up it drops and goes up again then down and stays normal and have heat then

thanks for the info, put in new thermastat and coolant temp sensor and its running good. wish i saw the sticky above for themastat remove for 2000 ex, to help out sooner

Back