No Heat, Temp all over | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Heat, Temp all over

Prospeeder

Reaction score
I am at a loss. I put in 3 different thermostats including a new Ford OEM thermostat. New heater core, new fan clutch. Thing will not warm up all the way, will just go to the N in normal and then falling to cold. Heater is like barley anything. Just cold air really. Driving, revving it up, no difference. heater hoses get hot. I took the dash apart to make sure the blend door was operating correctly. It is. Im completly out of ideas. It just will not give out heat and will not maintain operating temp! arrhhhg

its a 94 explorer, manual heater controls

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air bubble/air lock in radiator? I had a similar issue with my 99 Mazda B2500. Never did get it straight, went to auction and bought a 92 Explorer with a really good heater.

How hot are your heater hoses when the engine is up to temp?

The '94 has a plastic valve in the feed line to the heater core. Maybe it failed. If in doubt, remove it and stick a piece of the pipe or tubing in there. It's there to reduce the temperature of the heater core when you select A/C.

Just an idea...

How hot are your heater hoses when the engine is up to temp?

The '94 has a plastic valve in the feed line to the heater core. Maybe it failed. If in doubt, remove it and stick a piece of the pipe or tubing in there. It's there to reduce the temperature of the heater core when you select A/C.

Just an idea...

imwithstupidup.gif

Check the heater control valve.

air lock eh, gosh i have been running and running and squeezing hoses and drove it around. These things are that hard to get air out of?? And there is no heater control valve on this one. At least i dont think so, just 2 hoses going to the core, nothing in them. just a plastic hose coupler. The hoses to the core get pretty hot, almost to the point you cant touch them very long.,

ok fixed it...so one of the plastic couplers the person used for removing the heater valve was like melted and mostly blocked off inside. Problem solved. Put the heater valve in. still never gets to the middle of the gauge but its hot.

ok fixed it...so one of the plastic couplers the person used for removing the heater valve was like melted and mostly blocked off inside. Problem solved. Put the heater valve in. still never gets to the middle of the gauge but its hot.

:thumbsup:

Most 4.0l dont. ;)

Cool. Heat is good in the winter...

Ha ha ha...

The Letter "O" in NORMAL is about where they run.

Mine temp reading runs about N..all is well

My gauge got all the way up to R once, when I had a coolant leak.

My experience is with the 195* t-stat the gauge will read right around between the O and R.

With the 180* (recently installed it) it reads at the beginning of the O.

I did swap out my gauge probe/ sender because with the 195 (before it failed) my gauge wasn't reading but barely on the N.

Back