• Register Today It's free!

It Might Be Over

Wolfie_85

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
I love my Ex. I've put fistfulls of money into it, fussed with it every chance I had. But it might be time to give her up. I am looking at other Explorers, preferably with fewer miles (doesn't have to be first gen. Saw some nice 2nd gens, though), and fewer issues.

This transmission thing does it for me, as I am on a budget, and it still needs a great many other things to get it where I want it to be. Every time I get ready to do a project like the headliner or back bumper, something else comes up. While I'm not opposed to putting work into something, I need a good daily driver that I can take on out of state trips. Don't get me wrong, that truck gave 20 years of service and did it well up to now. Awesome vehicle.

You guys will see me around. Like I said, still want to get another Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just because you don't have an Ex doesn't mean you can't hang around...

We'll be here.

But...but...1st gens look the best!!

Totally hear you on the daily driver thing. I bought a car a couple of years ago for that purpose. It's pretty tough relying on a 20-year-old vehicle as a daily, no matter what brand it is.

I agree. Love first gens. But I need to compromise. It has to be both trustworthy and enjoyable. :) Lately, it's been about every week as far as repair goes.

IMO, I'd go with a 1997-2000 2nd gen with the OHV. None of the SOHC or V8 crap with AWD. 1996 & up would have OBD-II. The 1995 year had suspension issues. 1997 introduced the 5-speed automatic. Anything after 2000, they dropped the OHV and I feel that's around the time of the decline of the true Explorer. They started doing more comfort stuff, to turn it into a car.

That said, I still like the 1st gens. They just feel beefier, simplistic and hard to kill. It's hilarious that they're incredibly capable vehicles but aren't worth crap in the used market.

I agree, with natenkiki2004 all the way. The 4.0 SOHC is what gives the explorer a bad name, especially to people who don't realize there is a 4.0 OHV that can go 500k without problems. The 4.0 SOHC is a ticking time bomb that doesn't start the clock until 2 miles until explosion. The 5.0 is ok, but FAR overrated. It doesn't belong in a truck in my opinion. Its a mustang engine. Too bad the engine bays aren't bigger, an explorer with a 300 slant 6 would be an absolute beast. Don't overlook the navajo's, mountaineer's, rangers, or B series pickups either.

Yeah, after 2000, the transmission options frighten me. I'd do another a4ld. At least you can get in the neighborhood of 200k miles out of them if you don't skimp on maintenance.

Don't rule out the M5OD transmission as I have never had any issues with it. Between my two latest explorers which are my old 92 and my current 93, I have put roughly 50k miles combined in 4.5 years of hard daily use. Only one clutch and that was in the 92.

The slave cylinder is the gremlin of our manual transmissions. That is rectified by purchasing a motorcraft slave from the dealer, however I found out that they are being phased out of dealer stock.

Back