• Register Today It's free!

it wont start

bigmthbas

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ?
i am stuck...i dont know what to do...i have a 91 explorer xlt....i have replaced the battery within the last 4 mnths and replaced the starter solenoid and all the battery cables and it will not crank...both the starter and sloenoid just click but it wont turn the flywheel...
i have tried to ground the battery using jumper cables and going to the motor but that didnt do anything...i had the starter tested at an auto parts store and it worked...
so now i am seriously confused
if oyu have any suggestions...fell free to email me at
bigmouththbass@wmconnect.com

thanks..
Ron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recheck all the connections. Make sure the all are clean and tight, especially the - cable where is grounds to the block.

i had that problem! on my explorer it was the starter

Could be internal corrosion in the battery cable (happened to my '92). You can't see the corrosion from the outside. Disconnect the cable at the battery, and take a multimeter and read the resistance from the battery end of the positive cable to the starter. If it's more than a couple of ohms, your cable is shot. This is a fairly common occurance in older Explorers.

well....i tried using a screwdriver and arching the connections and it still wont start...so im to the conclusion its my starter...now my next dilema is wether to spend the money on a new starter...or looking into a used starter to see if thats the propblem

Invest in a new starter---used will give you more headaches. I found that out the hrd way. I remember getting a notice with the new starter about a corroded wire--the one that just plugs onto the blade terminal on the starter itself. They recommended replacing or splicing it back to good wire before installing the new starter. This was on a 92--so I assume yours would be the same.
I also had to clean 2 terminal blocks mounted on the firewall. They are just above the blower motor for the heater on the passenger side. There is 2 wires on each of the blocks that were badly rusted and dirty. I undid the nuts and wire brushed them clean. They may be the culprit also. Godd Luck.

The engine isn't froze up is it? Can you turn it manually?

Back