It's HOT!!!! Air conditioning malfunction!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It's HOT!!!! Air conditioning malfunction!!!

S

Skip-errrr

I have a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT with R-12 freon in the air conditioning system. The air conditioning gave up the ghost last year. I had it recharged with R-12 but a couple of hours later the freon all leaked out. The service guy looked for leaks but said he could not find any. Another service center said that a lot of 1993 Explorers leaked at the evaporator coil near the firewall. I just added some red dye to the system but I can not see any leaks either. Has anyone had similar problems with their air? Also, I am considering converting the system from R-12 to R-134A. I have heard good and bad. Some say you just need to bleed the system out of R-12 and add the new R-134A. Others say that you need to replace the air dryer, evaporator, seals, etc. and then add the new R-134A. Has anyone converted and if so how well does the new system cool???? Thanks

------------------

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out the General Exploration forum. Someone just did the conversion with kits/parts available at WalMart.

Just had the AC repaired on my 94 and it was the evaporator. Took it one place and they said they could not find the leak so took it to another place that had a feon sniffer. By the way it cost me $450.00 to get it fixed.

Tim

The last time my AC freaked on me was a year ago and it was hard to find the leak too they looked for hours and then found out it was leaking in the compressor. I would also get a professional to convert your system to r-134 if it is not correctly say good buy to your compressor. I have seen this happen on a friends mustang. The compressor seized up and the belts melted ruined all the pullys and the the belt snaped.

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

Had the air in my 91 Sport converted over 2 months ago at the local Ford dealer. They drained the system, installed new o rings at all junctions, installed the conversion kit, leak tested it and filled it for $189 out the door. The air is not quite as cold as the R-12 was but does do a good job. I was surprised that it was this cheap, I was going to do the job myself but decided that it would be easier if I let them do it, that way it was leak tested as well. I also like the idea that I can refill if it does happen to get low for next to nothing after the initial purchase of the filling kit. Have driven it on 95 degree days and been quite comfortable. JR

My 1992 Explorer XLT's air conditioning worked well until 1997, at which time I had freon added. In July 1999 I needed air conditioning servicing again. This time the sniffer detected leaks at the o-rings and at the shrader valves. The Econo-O-Lube center replaced o-rings, valves, and refilled the freon for about $200 (approximately: $24 for the service, $160 for freon, $16 parts). The service guy also measured the inside temperature a couple of degrees cooler after blowing all the bugs off the radiator.

I just had my 91 Sport converted for $126--$32 for an hour worth of time to fill it with freon and suck it all back out looking for leaks while it was full. Finding none he said it must be a real slow leak. I had him convert it over without replacing any of the other items mentioned and it works great--the summer hear in the NE has been hotter than normal and I'm driving upto 50 miles each way everyday lately.

For what its worth,
Barry
91 Sport

I've sucessfully converted 3 vehicles so far. 2 were F-Series trucks and one was a GEO Metro. ('94 Ranger came w/ R134a and never needed service, so far!)

The kits come with instructions. If you can borrow a vacuum pump from someone, it'll make the system more efficient.

You do not need to change all of the o-rings. If you break open a connection, that particular o-ring will need to be replaced.

The refrigerant (R12 or R134a) and compressor oil are mixed together in the system. Look the entire system over, following all lines and hoses. If you find traces of oil (usually dirt sticks to it), you've found a refrigerant leak. Fix the leak first.

The kit comes with high side and low side fill fitting adapters that basically just screw over your old fittings. The kit should also include a Low side fill hose. You will also get a can of refrigerant oil. Some kits come with 2 or 3 cans of R134a.

A word of caution on refrigerant oils.
R12 uses a type of mineral oil.
Systems that ORIGINALLY came with R134a use "PAGS" oil.
Systems that were R12 and are converted to R134a use "ESTERS" oil.

There will be some leftover mineral oil in your old R12 system. PAGS oil does not mix with mineral oil. READ THE CAN AND MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING.

ESTERS oil IS compatible with mineral based oils. This is the correct oil to use.

The reason I mention this is that I bought a kit from Pep Boys that came with PAGS!! That is the only kit I've ever seen that contains PAGS. Buyer beware!

Also, if you're lucky, the specs decal will still be on your evaporator housing. This gives the original amount of oil and R12 for the system. Use the same amount of oil.. just make sure it's ESTERS. New R134a amount = Original R12 amount x .80 (80% as much).

Also, to do the job correctly, you should replace the receiver / dryer and orifice tube.

Back