iv been putting a lot of trans fluid in lately | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

iv been putting a lot of trans fluid in lately

hokie2008

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
in the past year iv been replacing tranny fluid every 2 months. wheen i check it the fluid is a dark almost brown color. also iv noticed my transmission getting stuck. when i put it into drive the engine will just rev like it is in neutral. after a couple seconds it will pop into gear and run fine. any clue on what could be causing all this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any leaks? If you don't find any external leaks, check the vacuum line to the vacuum modulator. Sometimes the diaphragm in the modulator ruptures causing ATF to be sucked into the engine.

thanks ill give that a check? is the muduator an easy check or does it require a lot of things to be taken apart?

To check for a leaky modulator, it's probably easiest to check the transmission hose where it attaches to the upper intake manifold on the engine.

thanks for the help... so glad i joined this website, iv gotten much better advice than my local mechanic ever gave me....

Back