• Register Today It's free!

I've been hit....

Tim K

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
(former owner) '97 XLT
So its a beautiful sunny day...I've got the windows open, the shades on, some tunes going.....and WHAMMO. Yep. I was just minding my own business sitting at a red light and BAM...I get hit from behind. So I pull into the parking lot and see that I have been hit by a Pontiac Sunfire. I get out expecting to see the front end of this woman's car all jammed up....and there's nothing. Just a crack and some scratches....so I look at my truck....and the rear bumper is completely folded down. What the hell! She was only doing a MAX of 15 MPH when she hit me. So much for "built ford tough".

Anyway, she gets out and her first words are "I'm so sorry. I'm such an idiot."

Yes, yes, you are. She said she "just wasn't paying attention". And for that I get a stiff neck and a bruised Ex. Thank god she had insurance though....Oh, and as for her car, the front end will have to be replaced as the plastic was all cracked....there may be more damage inside but the hood was stuck shut.

So, I get home and call her company to make a claim. She has Progressive...and I have seen their commercials...and their Explorer Sports driving around....but little did I know how truthful their ads are. I got hit at 1:00pm. I got home around 1:45 and called Progressive (and my company as well). At 3:00 I get a call from a Progressive adjuster asking me for some info and such. Then he tells me they have someone on the way to inspect my truck. At 3:45 the guy pulls up in his Sport and starts looking at my truck and taking pictures. He writes up his estimate ($1,400) and hands me a check at 4:15.

Now that's service. So my advice is, that if you ever get hit by someone, try to get hit by someone with Progressive.

(by the way, if the estimate is low they will issue another check to cover the difference)

Now all I have to do is find a good body shop. It looks like I will need a new bumper, and the brackets that attach it to the frame are bent as well. They will also have to paint the rear quarters b/c the back of the bumper came up under the tails and scraped the paint off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, sucks you got hit, Tim. But at least you had a good insurance experience.

Last August, I was hit by a girl in an Xterra behind a bar. The cop refused to find fault, even though there were multiple witnesses...and trying to get her insurance (GEICO) to pay was impossible. It took me 6 days to get in touch with someone, they then wouldn't talk to any witnesses (so it became a "her word against mine" deal). I ended up paying for the repairs out-of-pocket. What a b!#ch.

Hey Tim

I feel your pain buddy. I was rear-ended in December by a guy in an Olds Cutlass Supreme. New bumper for me, and not one scratch on his car. His insurance was no problem to deal with which is a blessing in a no-fault state like Michigan. Make sure you get a factory original bumper though. The underside of my new one is completely covered in rust after only four months. That's rediculous. In addition, the plastic cover is starting to warp and the paint around the towing plate is starting to come off and rust. Good thing my insurance company provides lifetime warranties for replacement parts. I'm going to the body shop tomorrow morning to have them look at it. Good luck with your truck.

peace

Mike

ba hahha ba ha. thats hillarious. what morron. people who rear end others should be shot

It happens, everyone makes mistakes. Trust me, you will do it at least once in your lifetime.

Glad everything will turn out well for you Tim.

ya i might get in an accident, but rear ending someone? how? i can't see myself doing it under normal weather and road conditions

Its always distraction. You'll look down to change the radio, look over to check out.........something and then wham.

It happens to everyone.

Funny those Pontiac Sunfires are prone to hit Explorers in the rear. That is the Same thing that happened to my mom in her 91 XLT. Stopped at a light and Wham sunfire from behind. had to replace the Explorers Rear bumper.

We did not get our Check that fast but Oh well...

buy a new bumper at a junkyard and then take the rest of the money and get a lift or other mods that's what i would do

Ok so my car is sitting in a friends driveway and this kid decides to fly out of his driveway in reverse in the middle of a blizzard and smack! I heard a crash from inside and ran out to see my drivers side litterally in shambles. He hops out of his new Mazda MPV and says oh don't worry, don't worry it's ok. Well this sucks and my baby is very hurt.

Back