I've now had my 2000 Explorer for 10 years! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've now had my 2000 Explorer for 10 years!

Fantasymon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
My dad bought my brand new 2000 Explorer for me ten years ago when I had just turned 18. I am now 28 and I plan to keep this thing for another 5 if it will let me.

As you can see in my signature, I put a decent amount of mods to it, but nothing major. I haven't posted on here in a long time but I just wanted to say how impressed I have been with this vehicle.

Ten years later, it now has about 83000 miles on it and still runs almost like new. It has only been in the shop one time and that was covered by the warranty many years ago.

Ford has definitely impressed me with this vehicle!

Here is to 5 more years of not knowing what a car payment is like!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:chug:Salute

That's cool! Congrats to you- AND your Ex! :thumbsup:

Congratulations on the longtime ownership, especially being that you were kinda young when you got it. Low miles too.

10 years and only 83k miles? Very nice. My '00 just passed 191k.

Solid Truck

I agree, my '99 XLT has been a very solid, dependable vehicle. Spent the last couple of weekends doing a little maintenance but it still looks and drives like new. Amen to no car payments!:usa:

Congrats man! Its hard to believe that a 2000 is ten years old now. Still seems new to me

congrats on your 10 yr anniversary :ttiwwp:

Congrats man! Low miles, great shape, no payments, couldnt be better :D

Well one more year down on this explorer. I have now had it for 11 years!

Today I just got it back from a small local maintenance shop that I had two guys do LOTS of work to:
1) Replace both head gaskets (leaking) with a complete head gasket kit
2) Replace camshaft synchronizer assembly and camshaft sensor (was chirping loudly)
3) Replace both front upper controls arms and ball joints with Moog (they were going bad)
4) Replace both front lower ball joints with Moog (they were going bad)
5) Install BBK headers. The BBK header did not connect correctly including the EGR so they had to take it to a muffler shop to do some welding and modify EGR fitting. (was supposed to be a minor additional but the connections ended up making it a lot of work for them.
6) Change spark plugs
7) Change mobile one oil and filter
8) Flush antifreeze/coolant
9) Modify air intake piping which had issues connecting to KKM
10) Replace upper radiator hose which the air intake piping was rubbing on
11) Replace one oxygen sensor
12) Replace all four shocks with Rancho R9000XL (I got these free from Rancho through a warranty exchange as mine went bad)

They let me buy all the parts and just charged me for labor. The labor came to $1400 which included an initial diagnostics. Seems like a very reasonable price considering how much time the head gaskets take and how much work they had to put into the BBK headers.

The parts cost me about $775 so the whole thing cost $2175 and they gave me a one year warranty on all labor.

I also had Midas replace brake pads last week which were under warranty for $180 in labor.

So I spent about $2500 this year which will hopefully allow this pretty baby to keep running for four more years. Still only 86k miles and MAN it sounds nice with the KKM, BBK tb, BBK headers, and flowmaster 50!

Back