2000 Explorer Sport for parts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Sport for parts?

ExplorerX99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
My wife and I both have Explorers. I have a '99 XLT and she has a 2000 Sport. The transmission just went on her Sport and it's going to cost more than the truck is worth to fix. We just spent thousands of dollars fixing other issues to get it pass inspection and then this happens. This vehicle has been a money pit for the last 3 years. My truck is fantastic. 217K and counting! Anyways we got her a new vehicle and now I have a parts truck.

What can I take from the Sport that will fit on my XLT?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you've spent $1000's on it, why not fix the transmission too? How mechanically inclined are you?

If you have the same engine in your XLT then all of the engine and accessory parts will be interchangeable. The only parts that will not be interchangeable will be some interior parts, leaf springs, rear driveshaft, spindles (maybe, the 2-doors have a different turn radius and may have different spindles), rear axle (lack of 5-th shock).

Fixing it would seem to be the logical thing to do. However, this truck is SO different than mine. I don't know if you could call it a lemon, but it's "lemon-ish". LoL!

We've had it for more than 3 years and there's always something wrong with it. The undercarriage is full of rust, so much so that when I brought it to a transmission shop, I was quoted an extra $100 or so just to replace all of the nuts, bolts and brackets that were going to break just to drop the exhaust and trans.

I could spend $500 to replace a seal or a servo but if it needs to be rebuilt, I'm looking at $2000 - $2500. Then something else will go wrong. I can't keep doing it.

It's a decent vehicle but it's too late. Decisions have already been made. I am going to save SO much money on parts and labor by being able to strip the Sport.

The 16" wheels will fit, right?

The wheels will fit fine.

I was going to say to fix and keep it too, but if it's
rusty and you've lost interest, might as well cut it
loose...

My 'collection' :D of 2000 Sports are rust-free, but I have
sold many vehicles because of rust, and many more
simply because of lost interest.

Just curious, what's the wife driving now?

2009 Impala.

I haven't lost interest in MY Explorer! That thing is my baby! In fact, I'm the only guy in our town with a modded Ex. My wife, on the other hand, used to love that we had matching trucks. She's had so many problems with hers since we bought it that it's taken it's toll.

I have 2 kids and a house and other stuff so I haven't been able to do too much in the past several months. Not to mention the fact that I live in Northeastern, PA and we've been DUMPED ON this winter with snow and freezing temps!

Last thing I did was a shackle/torsion twist lift of almost 2" and 30" tires.

Now I've got plenty of good parts and warmer weather on the way!

how are the running boards/steps?are they decent or toast?i could use a rust free set for my 2000 sport .

when reverse went on my trans i bought a used trans from a towing service for 350.00 and had my mechanic slap it in . had i waited until they took that ex to the junkyard that same trans would have been 500.00 .

anyway.....about those steps....and what color is your interior?i could use a new center console door .

ps- i am ne pa too

If you can install the transmission yourself, you can get rebuilds for less than $1000, or used ones for quite cheap. But if its a rust bucket, then it makes more sense to part it out.

Which engines do they have?

JoeDoe,
I had bought a set of stock nerf bars but never got around to installing them. I'd take $50 for the set. PM me with your info and maybe we can get together.

Both engines are 4.0L SOHC and both are in decent shape. I was thinking about having the Sports engine taken out and rebuilt so that when the XLT's engine goes, I'll have another.

Don't we all need a center console cover? I know I do so this one's not for sale.

As the weather gets warmer, I will be able to start stripping the parts. When I take all of what I need, I will let everyone know. If anyone else lives in the Scranton area and there's a part you need, send me a PM and maybe you need something that I don't.

Thanks!

sent you my email for pics if you have .thanks

Back