• Register Today It's free!

j-mod hole pattern

pwtsvwt

Reaction score
City, State
Richfield, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Limited RWD
Is there a good pic or drawing of the J-Mod hole pattern?

The photo in the write up at TCCoA leaves a lot to be desired.

I found a good drawing for the '98 and newer 4r70w ( http://www.crownvic.net/tech/4R70Wnotes.pdf , but not for my '96.

Thanks!

Welcome, and be very careful with what you are trying to do with a truck valve body. I am in the process of building a 99 4R70W trans, and have been told and read many times that the truck VB's do not respond well to aftermarket shift kits. I was given a list from a man off the top of his head, as to which holes to not go that big on, if I had to use the truck VB.

I could mention those holes, but I think the best solution is what I'm about to do. I bought a used car VB from a later Mustang(2003 supposedly). If after inspection it looks good enough to use, I'll build that one with the Jerry's mod holes and install it in my trans. I hope to get into that today to at least verify it's usable, the price was cheap and you never know.

You can use the later VB's if you hadn't read that yet, you do need to buy two spacers which go over the later VB guide pins. Your VB has larger guide pins, which stick out and line up the holes when you install it. The later VB's from 97 on have much smaller pins, so you would have that convenience when installing, without the guide pin spacers. I don't know what else to call them, or where to find them, but surely many trans sources would know.

You do need to replace a few parts, updates which should be done for 97 and older 4R's. Change the DTRS sensor(gear range, outside), the two shift accumulators(1/2, 2/3), and install the later overdrive piston if it still has the smaller one(with sleeve in bore). Those are inexpensive parts, change those.

I'd also change the EPC solenoid every 60k if you can, it's good maintenance. Those don't wear out internally like the 5R trans, but the outside can get loose, worn. If that happens then you have a leak around the EPC, and wear of the trans case. The case is not repairable, and the best prevention is a new EPC every so often. 60k miles was suggested to me. Regards,

Thanks Don! more food for thought.

I'd really like to get some better shifting, and am trying to determine the best for the least ($) way to go about it. I'm currently researching the B&M ShiftPlus, the Transgo -HD2, and the J-mod. I've heard good about all three, and I've heard bad about all three. The mixed reviews are Not making a decision any easier. Plus, at 172,000 miles, I have to be concerned about the mod possibly reducing the tranny lifespan instead of lengthening it.

Thanks again for the info. Could you ellaborate on "do not respond well"?

In general any truck VB will have different sized holes and possibly other minor changes, valves etc. It isn't the same for all years, but certain models seem to bring out the affects. I can't pin down a year, but I have read of many examples of later trucks having issues when they did the J mod stuff. I finally took the advice of the person I spoke to about the few questions I had.

I really like TransGo stuff, but it appears that what they do with the specific 4R70W HD2 kit, it does fine only in stock applications. In high performance applications, it creates problems not easily repaired. I don't want to dwell on actual issues, but I read enough to finally conclude that I shouldn't use the HD2 kit for my truck. I'm planning on a lot more power, so it isn't worth it to risk that people saying those things are all wrong. I have that very kit in my 95 Crown Vic, and it works great. But that is a stock car.

B$M has had too many issues in odd applications, I avoid their stuff. I put a kit of theirs into an 86 351 Crown Vic, and it shifted way too harshly. The answer they gave me was to remove the springs of the kit, which was about 3/4 of the modifications. I took it all out, and put in the TransGo AOD kit, which worked flawlessly.

Basically you have to watch out for trans modifications for odd applications, like police cars and trucks. I read nothing about the Explorer trans in my research, but it really is likely that it's identical to an F series trans or similar years.

From your posts, I'd suggest either the car VB swap and J mod stuff, or the TransGo kit which does fine in stock Explorers. No one has been disappointed with the HD2 kit in their Explorer that I've read about. I bought one a couple of years ago, and I may sell it if I don't think I'll use it anytime soon. Regards,

Back