Jade Pearl Update/Build Log | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jade Pearl Update/Build Log

I'd like a winch myself, to get out of whatever. Not even sure where the towing points are on a 98 Explorer - do you know?
Neighbor couldn't winch himself uphill into his parking spot if he had one, nothing to attach it to!
One of the advantages of living in Snowland, is the dashes and interiors hold up much better (unless interior is black and you park in the sun with closed windows)
Mine is still great, only slight fading on it and no cracks.
You might want to look into online junkyards for a dash from an area that isn't real hot and sunny!
I mean, the front ain't got the best spots, why people take hooks off things like the f150 and cut a hole in the bumper for it mounted to the frame. The rear though, just hook to the axle or hitch. I never had to hook the X up, for recovering or being recovered, so I guess I never really messed with it too much, this truck has hooks up front already and a hitch in the rear so it was already set and I've actually done recoveries in this thing! I'll be headed that way later this afternoon, take a look real quick and give ya an opinion on where may be best without tearing crap up lol

There is that, a winch is only good if ya have something to hook to! 2wd can usually get up a hill too though, just going to need a serious running start! lol
My dash is decently cracked up, everything else is decent, disadvantages of living in Florida lol
That's possible, ebay may not be bad either, I dont trust people on Facebook to ship one and not be a scam, only do in person meets with cash, but a junkyard if they'd ship could work! Appreciate the idea, definitely something to look into!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I mean, the front ain't got the best spots, why people take hooks off things like the f150 and cut a hole in the bumper for it mounted to the frame. The rear though, just hook to the axle or hitch. I never had to hook the X up, for recovering or being recovered, so I guess I never really messed with it too much, this truck has hooks up front already and a hitch in the rear so it was already set and I've actually done recoveries in this thing! I'll be headed that way later this afternoon, take a look real quick and give ya an opinion on where may be best without tearing crap up lol

There is that, a winch is only good if ya have something to hook to! 2wd can usually get up a hill too though, just going to need a serious running start! lol
My dash is decently cracked up, everything else is decent, disadvantages of living in Florida lol
That's possible, ebay may not be bad either, I dont trust people on Facebook to ship one and not be a scam, only do in person meets with cash, but a junkyard if they'd ship could work! Appreciate the idea, definitely something to look into!
I've dealt with Ebay Motors, and OEMusedautoparts1.com with good results. Got a NOS armrest with the driver's side window control switch in perfect shape, think it was $25. (Still have the armrest, minus switches, $10 plus shipping whoever wants it. It's tan) Ebay, look at the seller's ratings especially the negative ones.
Re the tow points, found 2 "ears" underneath the front, they tilt upwards a bit, and intended for jacking points allegedly from internet search. Thinking of finding shackles to put around them in case of needing a pull!

Gotten some lighting, tail light guards, and such from ebay for the X, some good luck yeah. A dash will happen eventually, but they ain't cheap lol

Those could probably work! But yeah, would maybe see about trying to look into some hooks from an f150 of the late 90s (10th gen), seen a few people manage that on these. Could even maybe manage to mount larger hooks like the ones on mine, thicker and stronger, these are probably the best shots I have on hand, can grab some nicer ones on the way out in about 30 mins. But either would work pretty well once bolted up to the frame!

20220728_124755.jpg 20220602_104039.jpg

And finally, the solid and finished Christmas photoshoot, 100% done now, the last one! All my lights were finally working again, decided no running lights, few other changes. Think this was my best, now I just have to out do it next year! Even Toro got the spotlight for once!

IMG_2227.JPG IMG_2225.JPG IMG_2208.JPG IMG_2206.JPG IMG_2180.JPG IMG_2165.JPG IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2237.JPG IMG_2231.JPG

Been a bit since I gave any updates. Couple weeks back, got into a wreck cause a guy cut me off on the interstate in the rain. No one was hurt thankfully, truck took a good beating for me though, he sat high enough his bumper just dug right into corner of the truck, really cant wait to lift my front end..and surprisingly, it drove home like that, no issues at all besides tire rub. but anyway, these are pictures from day 1, all the way through to today. Managed to find a matching body set: passenger fender (didnt need, just had some old dents and scratches so I wanted to replace it anyway, that and the passenger door since it's the same way), radiator/core support, hood, and drivers fender; though the drivers fender is a darker shade of green evidently, not stupidly obvious, enough that I can tolerate it till I paint it anyway. But shes back up and safely running again, though replacing an abs sensor I found that my wheel bearing is shot again, pretty sure I know why and wont be making that mistake again, so I'll be replacing that tomorrow and then back on the road from there! Been a long and annoying process, but it's just about done!

20230104_164940.jpg 20230104_164343.jpg 20230104_164337(0).jpg 20230104_164319.jpg 20230104_170027.jpg 20230104_165315.jpg 20230104_164343.jpg 20230108_162240.jpg 20230108_162219.jpg 20230108_162239.jpg 20230106_164532.jpg 20230112_165201.jpg 20230112_190409.jpg 20230113_143301.jpg 20230113_143255.jpg 20230114_132250.jpg 20230114_132237.jpg 20230114_173500(0).jpg 20230116_123727.jpg 20230116_180256.jpg

Yes, name change, I explained it in the first post of the thread. But anyway, update on doing the four corner mod finally, instead of cutting up the top reflector and plastic welding crap together, I'm going to see about just doing this setup. Cut the whole section of the grille out like the bottoms indent, and that way it fits, I need to get a nut for it to see how well it holds, or just glue it together, but this works, it surprisingly fits well, honestly surprised I've never seen anyone else try it this way. So progress towards that, once I get another set of reflectors I can get started on it! I'm working on cleaning up the extra fog/pod lights I nabbed too to throw those on soon! Also found some ol' leds I bought for the explorers fog lights that were too big to fit, same as my headlights now, so I'm going to see about making the hole for it a tad larger so I can have led headlights. Lot of stuff coming, hopefully sooner than later!

(Ignore the fact that in the second shot, the bottom one is busted up, it's the one from the wreck just to test the fitments. And ignore how badly cut up that hole I made looks, my actual grille will be done better, just using the old wrecked grille as a test subject lol)

20230201_175346.jpg 20230201_175249.jpg

Finally cleaned up some of my spare lights, getting ready to hook 'em up to the truck later this weekend hopefully! The two big ones will be on the grille guard, the two lil' ones on top of the rear bumper at each corner below the tail lights.

Also, new side markers will be in around Wednesday or so I believe, so I can hopefully start on the four corner mod by next weekend! More updates to come!

20230204_231022.jpg

And one part finished! Front ones are now on and wired, they looked better in the garage, not very bright on the truck itself, especially compared to the headlights. So I'll look into some other pods and swap 'em eventually, but they work and look decent on the truck aesthetically at least. Tomorrow night I'll see about wiring up the other two for the rear, then I just have to finish up some coding to get them to also work like emergency flashers when needed too.

Also found a random chain set on the ground, so I hooked it around the license plate mount there, think it looks pretty nice. Still looking into some heavier duty ones to swap in

20230205_213458.jpg 20230205_213448.jpg 20230205_213336(0).jpg 20230205_213328(0).jpg 20230205_213310(0).jpg 20230205_213301(0).jpg

And one part finished! Front ones are now on and wired, they looked better in the garage, not very bright on the truck itself, especially compared to the headlights. So I'll look into some other pods and swap 'em eventually, but they work and look decent on the truck aesthetically at least. Tomorrow night I'll see about wiring up the other two for the rear, then I just have to finish up some coding to get them to also work like emergency flashers when needed too.

Also found a random chain set on the ground, so I hooked it around the license plate mount there, think it looks pretty nice. Still looking into some heavier duty ones to swap in

View attachment 438855 View attachment 438856 View attachment 438857 View attachment 438858 View attachment 438859 View attachment 438860
Lights look really cool! Glad you explained the name change. I did like Jade Pearl, though. It did remind me of a Chinese restaurant (love that food!) Didn't realize it was the name of a character, LOL

Lights look really cool! Glad you explained the name change. I did like Jade Pearl, though. It did remind me of a Chinese restaurant (love that food!) Didn't realize it was the name of a character, LOL
I did like it too, just felt off. Still probably call her Jade from time to time. Ohh that's interesting, who doesnt like some good chinese food? lol
Didn't know it was a character either! lol

I did like it too, just felt off. Still probably call her Jade from time to time. Ohh that's interesting, who doesnt like some good chinese food? lol
Didn't know it was a character either! lol
I do play a lot of video games, but the puzzle or shooter type. D&D quite popular when I was in HS, but I was playing Asteroids and Pac Man.

I do play a lot of video games, but the puzzle or shooter type. D&D quite popular when I was in HS, but I was playing Asteroids and Pac Man.
frogger? 1942?

The way you can tell a Chevy guy is,the 1st post would have stated the truck has a 4 bolt main, even if it isn't true. Just like when you buy a ford with a 352, it's a 390 when you sell it..

pretty sure the chevy guys are the ones who try to race you in their dirtymax z71s when you drive a stock X lol or camaro vs stock X

pretty sure the chevy guys are the ones who try to race you in their dirtymax z71s when you drive a stock X lol or camaro vs stock X
A tuned duramax can move quickly. I worked at a place that had one opened way up, it would spin the tires with a trailer at 45 mph

A tuned duramax can move quickly. I worked at a place that had one opened way up, it would spin the tires with a trailer at 45 mph
exactly, just liek the 7.3s ;) but with a trailer at 45??????? thats crazy!!!!!!!!! i suppose i should've clarified: trying to race you when you arent aware

Depends on the shooter for me, like something story based with shooting I like; like The Last Of Us, I love those games! Like me some good puzzle and strategy games too, horror is always fun as well! Never really messed with D&D, know a few that did, Asterioids, PacMan, Frogger, Tetris, etc.. Loved those so much growing up!

Not a true chevy guy, no. I grew up around a lot of chevies, but I started myself in a ford, I'll be ford all the way but I like both brands lol
I cant deny though, they may start with a 351 and end with a 390, I guarentee I'll be starting with a 350 and ending with either a 383 or 496! lol

Dang, even with a trailer?! These newer trucks man..! lol

exactly, just liek the 7.3s ;) but with a trailer at 45??????? thats crazy!!!!!!!!! i suppose i should've clarified: trying to race you when you arent aware
No clue what all the mods were, but it eventually ended up with a hole in a piston. I wanted to buy it to fix up but they wouldn't sell it. Not sure of what happened to it since I no longer work there.

No clue what all the mods were, but it eventually ended up with a hole in a piston. I wanted to buy it to fix up but they wouldn't sell it. Not sure of what happened to it since I no longer work there.
Might've scrapped it honestly, and sadly, may not have been worth the effort to fix vs nabbing another

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might've scrapped it honestly, and sadly, may not have been worth the effort to fix vs nabbing another
one mans trash is another treasure

Back