Jaos Roof Rack | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jaos Roof Rack

Reaction score
HAs anyone installed a JAOS Roof rack II on their Explorer? I want to put one on my 97 Sport but i am not sure how good it will look. Does anyone have pictures?

------------------
Red'97 Sport Loaded,
4x4,SOHC,Warrior Twist and Shackles 2inch lift,
BFG Mud Terrain LT265/75R16/D's, Chrome SmittyBuilt Outland Brushguard and Tail light Guards, PIAA 520 Fogs,PIAA 959 Fogs,
K&N, Flowmaster
Panasonic Cd player,Planet Audio DVC 10inch SUB,Virtual technologies box, Planet Audio 600 watt amp,MA Audio 1.0 Farand Capacitor, 4 Gauge Lightning Audio Wires Throughout,
CB, PA

Planet Audio Seperates in all 4 corners on the way!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't nor haven't seen this, but if you want an idea of how it will look thats easy. First, get a picture of any truck with the rack installed. Next find a picture of an Explorer (that looks similar to yours) taken at a similar angle to the truck with the rack installed. Cut out the picture of the Explorer and lay it over the picture of the other truck leaving the rack visible. It may not represent what yours will look like exactly, but it may give you an idea. Good luck.

I'm sure it will look nice. All those Jaos products are really good looking. It's just a thousand dollars for it is a little crazy, and that's just for the rack and no extras! But yeah, it would look really great!
Dead Link Removed

Yeah i thought i might get it until i looked up the price of it today and saw that it cost about $900s to much. I think ill just get a black safari style one instead. how do you hide the wires from the lights mounted up there and how do you get them into the car and up to your battery?

I have a Surco safari rack with four Hella 500's on it. I had them professionally installed and you can't really completely hide the wires. On the rack you can take a wire tie and tie them to the inside so you can't see them from the outside. I ran the wires from the switch and battery through the door sills on each side. This was what I had done professionally, and I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself unless you know a lot about wiring. The only wires that show are the ones going from the rack to the door sills. I hope this helps some. Good Luck.

------------------
Rob Slade
'95 XLT 4x4
30x9.5 All Terrain KO's
K&N Air Filter System
Manik: Grill Guard
Taillight Guards
Step-Up Bars
Surco Safari Rack
2 Hella Black Magic's
4 Hella 500's
2 Punch DVC 10's
More to come...

hey Rob do you know if you can mount a bike rack on top of the Surco rack?

------------------
Red'97 Sport Loaded,
4x4,SOHC,Warrior Twist and Shackles 2inch lift,
BFG Mud Terrain LT265/75R16/D's, Chrome SmittyBuilt Outland Brushguard and Tail light Guards, PIAA 520 Fogs,PIAA 959 Fogs,
K&N, Flowmaster
Panasonic Cd player,Planet Audio DVC 10inch SUB,Virtual technologies box, Planet Audio 600 watt amp,MA Audio 1.0 Farand Capacitor, 4 Gauge Lightning Audio Wires Throughout,
CB, PA

Planet Audio Seperates in all 4 corners on the way!

To tell you the truth, I don't really know. I ordered mine from Performance Products in California and they don't list a bike holder as an accessory for the rack. All they offer is a bracket for mounting your spare tire, an axe and shovel carrier, and light brackets. Also, the rack is aluminum, so the weight limit is only 100 lbs. Hope this helps. Performance Products has a web site if you want to go there. It is www.performanceproducts.com. Good luck

------------------
Rob Slade
'95 XLT 4x4
30x9.5 All Terrain KO's
K&N Air Filter System
Manik: Grill Guard
Taillight Guards
Step-Up Bars
Surco Safari Rack
2 Hella Black Magic's
4 Hella 500's
2 Punch DVC 10's
More to come...

I haul my mountain bike inside the truck with the seat folded down now. I really liked the Yakima rack until I saw the price. It was over $400 to haul two bikes. Has anyone tried the roof rails from Ford. They are in the catalog for about $99. It looks like they mount right on top of the OEM rack. I'm wondering if they are solid and hold the bike steady at speed. I have a Specialized FSR Comp, and I'd hate to see a $1,000 plus bike skipping down the road. Also, if the factory rack can hold the weight, has anyone built their own bike rack? It would seem to be pretty easy to duplicate the Yakima bike rail.

Bike Roof Racks

I use a rear trailer hitch-mounted bike rack. It is a lot easier to access the bicycles from the hitch, rather than the roof. There are many styles available and the most expensive is about $275 bucks. You can also get adapters for skis and snowboards.

Back