Jerking in drive train - 4 X 4 Module replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jerking in drive train - 4 X 4 Module replacement?

Chris Jeppson

Reaction score
City, State
Wellsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hi Folks! I work at the US Embassy in Lisbon Portugal and have a 2003 Ford Explorer. It's a 4 X 4 with a 4.0 V6. It does this strange jerking / hesitation when I'm up past 50-60 miles an hour when there's a load on the drive train. I've found a old thread that exactly describes this problem and says it's resolved by replacing the 4 X 4 module mounted behind the glove box. I called the dealer and they say they have the part but it cost $325 and that a dealer tech must program the part. Yet there were people who described just changing the module themselves and fixing the problem without a dealer's help. Here in Portugal, I'm wondering if I can skip the dealer, order the part and replace it myself. Anyone had experience with this issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

Yea, I've changed my module. You have to make sure the part number either matches the new one or is a replacement equivalent. Cost less than $100 when I replaced it about 10 yrs ago on my 02. I believe the place I bought it was silver state ford parts

Back