Job 2 4.0L SOHC Engine Valve Cover Gasket Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Job 2 4.0L SOHC Engine Valve Cover Gasket Question

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I've been doing some searching and reading on doing this job. Is it true that you have to remove the intake manifold and EGR tube to replace the valve cover gaskets on the Job 2 4.0L SOHC engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. Just had to unplug the injectors. Use a hooked scribe to pop the retainer clip. Did this a few months ago. Dave P.

I wish it was that easy in a Super Duty... It's almost 100% a cab-off job meaning big bucks.

Koda, is the ST eating coolant after your flush?

I did this job not long ago, I didn't have to disconnect any injectors on the drivers side, the only real issue was loosening the fuel line enough to gain clearance to remove the valve cover. I don't remember having to take the egr loose, but it's not hard to do if you just remove it from the intake where it just bolts up rather than taking the pipe loose.

As for the passenger valve cover that was a little more difficult cause the back bottom bolt was hard to get to, I had to use a 1/4" socket wrench with long extensions, and a swivel right before the socket. I also had to disconnect the rear most passenger side fuel injector for the valve cover to have enough clearance to lift up out of place. Be careful those connectors can be brittle and break.

I did this job not long ago, I didn't have to disconnect any injectors on the drivers side, the only real issue was loosening the fuel line enough to gain clearance to remove the valve cover. I don't remember having to take the egr loose, but it's not hard to do if you just remove it from the intake where it just bolts up rather than taking the pipe loose.

As for the passenger valve cover that was a little more difficult cause the back bottom bolt was hard to get to, I had to use a 1/4" socket wrench with long extensions, and a swivel right before the socket. I also had to disconnect the rear most passenger side fuel injector for the valve cover to have enough clearance to lift up out of place. Be careful those connectors can be brittle and break.

Thanks. I just wanted to double check because I was reading conflicting information. Maybe it was more complicated on the Job 1 engine. Just looking at the passenger side there doesn't seem to be too much stuff in the way. The EGR tube is on the driver's side, but I don't think I'll have to disconnect it. I'll see when I get to it.

I just learned I need to replace the water pump on my son-in-law's '97 SOHC Sport. He drove up the driveway last night and it was making a hell of a racket. I asked him how long it had been doing that and he said a couple of weeks. He sees me everyday, do you think he'd mentioned it? Of course not. I don't get it if he blows his truck up he has no transportation and will have to buy another vehicle, but he'd just have driven it until the shaft broke off and the fan went through the radiator. Today I changed his oil filled up his tires and replaced his serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley. Tomorrow I'll get started taking it apart for the water (and I'll make him help).

Maybe he'll be more apt to making sure everything is running correctly when he gets his hands dirty and dives into it.

Maybe he'll be more apt to making sure everything is running correctly when he gets his hands dirty and dives into it.

Yeah, I've tried that in the past. He's pretty useless. I have to double check everything he does. I had him help me lift the new rear axle assembly into the ST a few weeks ago. First he hurt his wrist and then he installed the axle U-bolts going across the leaf spring, rather than over the axle tube (and that's not so easy to do). I just figure if I'm going to be out there sweating and getting dirty working on his truck, so is he. He's just one of those clueless people.

Well the son-in-law and I got his water pump replaced this morning and he actually did most of the work (under my guidance of course). Turns out the first water pump I bought was missing the bypass hose fitting, so of course no one had the one I needed in-stock except NAPA (at twice the price). We were completely done w/tools put away by 12:00. Tomorrow I'm making him rotate his tires and I may take his driver's side tie-rod in a couple of turns, as his left front is wearing a bit on the inside and his steering wheel is slightly to the left when driving straight. We'd get an alignment, but I know he needs ball joints. Maybe next month we'll do his intake O-rings before it gets cold again. Now I just have to get him to pay me the $170 he owes in parts (W/P, W/P gasket, serpentine belt, belt tensioner w/pulley and a metal idler pulley + $5 in gas for me running around last night to find a fan clutch removal tool with it being "Jeep Fest" tn town his weekend.

Oh, and the new valve cover gaskets for the ST arrived in today's mail.

Back