Joining the bandwagon, my 4L OHV build | Page 59 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joining the bandwagon, my 4L OHV build

im far enough in this to not turn back, so ill start this thread now.

starting with a truck that hasent been driven in 2 years before i got it. so its really dirty, ticks, needs some help.
im going for a mild top end rebuild. just a nice cleaning and new parts, upgraded performance parts. with a nice coat of paint to finish it up.
update: turned into full rebuild

parts list:
  • 2643 ANCHOR - drivers motor mount (rockauto)
  • 2641 ANCHOR - passenger motor mount (rockauto)
  • SP432 MOTORCRAFT - spark plugs (autozone)
  • WR4062 MOTORCRAFT - plug wire set (rockauto)
  • KS2358 FELPRO - full gasket set (autozone)
  • PR422 DNJ/ROCK ENGINE - pistion ring set (rockauto)
  • m328 MELLING - high flow oil pump (summitracing)
  • 432217 VISTA-PRO - ready rad radiator (summitracing)
  • E71531 DAYCO - upper radiator hose (autozone)
  • B71532 DAYCO - lower radiator hose (autozone)
  • 200-87684 DAYCO - heater-to-thermostat hose (autozone)
  • 200-87715 DAYCO - heater-to-water pump hose (autozone)
  • 58390 A-1 CARDONE - reman waterpump, they sent a 97tm (rockauto)
  • 300-942 DORMAN - water pump pulley (rockauto)
  • 300-004 DORMAN - power steering pulley (autozone)
  • 49237 GOODYEAR - belt tensioner (rockauto)
  • 5968 HAYDEN AUTOMOTIVE - idler pulley (rockauto)
  • 49-410-8 COMP CAMS - camshaft (summitracing)
  • R1092 SEALED POWER - rocker arms (rockauto)
  • VS1630 SEALED POWER - valve springs (rockauto)
  • sev-2027 SI VALVES - exhaust valves (sivalves.com)
  • sev-2028 SI VALVES - intake valves (sivalves.com)
  • UP94172S ULTRAPOWER - timing chain kit (rockauto)
  • 25053 CRANKSHAFT SUPPLY - reman crankshaft with bearings (rockauto)
  • 70mm 94/95 Mustang GT Cobra 19/24lb MAF (ebay)
  • ebay link - 90tm/93tm cylinder heads
  • ebay link - matched set of injectors
  • EF link - modded stock throttle body
  • GM3115200 chevrolet HHR electric fan from EF member
  • FAN-PWN-V3 SPAL fan controller from EF member
  • 1633S-1 JBA - headers and y-pipe used from EF member

later upgrades: 200amp alternator, underdrive/overdrive pulleys. maybe other stuff as i get ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

LOL I have read this entire thread from post #1. (military duty w/ nothing better to do)

So this is what it's like to work out "the bugs" after a rebuild... wow.

If I was going to pull off a stunt like this I think I'd rather pick up a spare engine and build it. This way to alleviate downtime. Did the longer pushrods cure the lifter tick?

The 410 cam have a nice tone to it? The internet connection at work is being stupid with the youtube posts right now.

Mine has 199k and maybe one day I'll stuff a rebuild in her. I have the lifter tick when it's below 40 degrees outside otherwise none at all. Not bad for almost 200k.

From what I've seen/ read/ heard (of the videos I watched) Good job, hope it all works out.

yea its a lot to read. me not knowing very much about anything, im learning as i go, so it produced a lot of back and forth convos in here about stuff lol

even with another engine, itd still take a week or so to swap id guess. make sure everythings right.

i do have a lifter tick with the longer ones, but as jd listened it sounded like the drivers side rear was ticking. and when we changed them out that one had a weird wear mark showing up on it. so its just a bad lifter, im hoping with enough oil changes and maybe more seafoam in the oil itll get unstuck. i didnt get new lifters for the build, just snagged some of jds spares if we couldnt clean mine. guess its just a bad one.

the 410 does have a nice sound, its not really much different from stock id guess.

ill know tomorrow how the fuel filter does, trips to work will tell me if i have any problems. so far i havent seen any CELs, surging or 1.3k rpm/tranny thing.
i need to put the wheel well back on now, had to take it off foe the o2, cause its looking like rain this week and my filters exposed! :/

oh yea, i figured while i cat the cat unbolted to check everything and clean the surface for the gasket id do this:
132_1667.jpg

its only the 2nd section of the cat, not the whole thing. i didnt want it to be too loud. has a different rumble at idle and in 2nd-3rd then the engine drowns it out.(when flooring it)

Its probably just been a clog filter the whole time especially with you running out of gas and it sitting for soo long.i bet or hope it fixes it!!;)

yea i shouldve poured it into a bottle to really see it all, it looked dirty tho. sad thing is that filter has been in the garage since last april lol
i bought it after i got the truck cause a friend mechanic told me things to buy for it and i looked at it under the truck(after he showed me where it was) and i said screw that and ever since ive been putting it off. lol

I know i ask many time before if you have changed it!

LOL I bought a fuel filter for mine before I left NC to move to KY/TN (Fort Campbell sits on the state line). Yeah ummm it's still under my back seat, I think I bought it in February.

I noticed the discussion over new lifters, I believe I read a post of how expensive they were. How expensive were they?

I've been an army mechanic for almost 10 years, and swapping engines was my specialty, granted I haven't swapped any in a few years, however they're all almost alike.

And there is no shame in asking questions. By all means if you don't know ask. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. I still don't know everything and never will. The day you stop learning is the day you stop living.

This is probably the reason I visit this forum so much. I've learned more from here than I could using google.

i win, i had mine sitting for over a year :p it was in the truck for awhile, then i took it out.

i was finding lifters for as little as $35 EACH. never found any ebay deals unless i couldnt find the hidden ones.

i did learn a lot from google and searching howto vids on youtube, but ive learned a lot on here, explorer 4.0 or not, now i know how things work a little more. but i found this place from searching google lol.

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. I still don't know everything and never will. The day you stop learning is the day you stop living.
:thumbsup:

jd, yea i know you were lol i just kept forgetting it. mainly cause it looked hard and id say ill do it later, then forgot. i even took it to work with me last week, i get bored and take naps once in awhile and id figure id do it then, but i forgot then too lol

Hahahhahaha lazy ass!!!nothing ever come easy,hope it fixes it.and you have learned alot since i first met you!!hahah

nope. idle dipped and voltmeter dipped a few times today. got home and in park, touched the gas, it stayed at 1k, touched it again and went to normal, touched again and 1k again and couldnt drop it. shifted, went into gear but nothing, stayed at 1k, finally just turned it off.

im really wondering if its the iac? $50 and i could find out. not sure if i wanna spring for it atm.

i did not get any CELs tho, either the cat flange or that im getting more fuel now solved that problem.

one thing with the cat now, if i get up to 45+, for best results, and let off and coast, my exhaust will go pop pop, pop pop, pop pop as i slow down
wonder if im shooting little flames lol
id need a tailpie if so..

No backpressure,not good!

Are you saying it went in gear and nothing as in it wont move?you need an exhaust, running it like that is not good for the motor

yes, i can feel the clunk of getting into gear then it doesnt move. tranny fluid is fine.

but what do you suggest? its y-pipe, 2.5 to cat, 2nd chamber gutted, 2.25 out of cat, 2.25 pipe about 18", then nothing. maybe 2.25-to-2 and a piece of 2" pipe and 90* out in front of the tire?

i have noticed loss in power lately.. thats prob why

i have noticed loss in power lately.. thats prob why

Sure is, Ford's need back pressure! You would gain a ton of torque by putting a cat and a muffler back on. I suggest not going any larger than 2.5'' before the muffler also.

I still have all 4 cats on my Mounty and when I went to a magnaflow Y and 3" Flowmaster 44 and single 3" out. I lost alot of low end with the setup but upper rpms are fun. I soon switched to 4.10s and that made up for it down low.

It also sounds like you have an upcoming issue with the torque converter.

i think the muffler i have is 2.5", its a original 40 series.
i do have the cat on there, just #2 is a hollow chamber. i havent had a muffler or real tailpipe since octoberish.
now that its dark and raining i guess i cant go buy a step up to put the muffler on today

so i realized i dont have a 2 1/2 clamp, so i have to wait until tomorrow. im gonna put the muffler on.

funny thing. i got gas right after putting on the gasket, tightening the cat, gutting half of it. and i just got gas again after 32 miles and i beat my mpg record, and i got 1.3mpg more then my average lol
besides loss of low end power, i get better mpg lolol (11.54mpg)

nope. idle dipped and voltmeter dipped a few times today. got home and in park, touched the gas, it stayed at 1k, touched it again and went to normal, touched again and 1k again and couldnt drop it. shifted, went into gear but nothing, stayed at 1k, finally just turned it off.

Are you sure the throttle is closing? Our X was having intermittent high idle and turned out the throttle shaft had worn causing the throttle plate to rub on the throttle body. When the idle was higher than it should have been I opened the hood, pushed the throttle linkage and viola, rpms went to normal.

I just picked up another TB off an Aerostar with many fewer miles and it took care of everything.

btw. If I look down the old throttle body I can see where the throttle plate was rubbing.

~Mark

Back