Joplin area thoughts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joplin area thoughts

azaizai

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
Hope everyone in the affected area is doing ok this morning. I know it was a nasty Sunday.

I know a few people are in the springfield area...not sure how rough things got for you guys either...or even the people in south eastern Kansas.

Its been a rough spring for a lot of people :/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Springfield area is fine, just an aftermath of a severe storm. The real bad stuff went about 20 miles south of us after it passed thru Joplin. The news is a buzz with reports coming in from the devastation caused by the twisters. Were still waiting on the death toll numbers, as people are reporting in with their losses. The area around the St. Johns hospital was wiped off the face of the earth for the most part. Walmart was collapsed with hundreds trapped in the rubble. Just plain nasty.

The path of the twister was 1/2 mile wide & 6 miles long. 30% of Joplin is destroyed.

Sad part of this disaster is that FEMA/Red Cross will not allow just anyone to lend a hand. You have to be certified by them to even go near the area. A neighbor helping a neighbor is not allowed. I understand the fears of lawsuits and looting concerns, but to me that is just a sad sad state of affairs.

Joplin is a central hub for this area, we often see neighbors there when we run over for supplies. Every time I have been there the streets are congested with out of town traffic. Man what a mess. 89 have been confirmed killed by this storm so far. My heart aches

what a mess

Our Prayers from st.louis are out to all,the people lost and disrupted for these storms.

Wow, I'm shocked with death tol at this time, I'm affraid they will end up finding alot more and the searching goes on today, it just looks horrible!!

It will take along, long time to rebuild what has been tore up there..

Hail this size fell out of the storm as it was developing on Parsons, Ks

This is a picture from sis in law

247765_187359604649997_100001278764853_551845_6750494_n.jpg

Anderson Cooper will be doing a report from Joplin at 9:00 our time. ( about 25 minutes from now)

This tornado was between 1/2-3/4 mile wide and moved only 20 mph. The scene is worse than I have ever witnessed.

138 is the count as of today-- poor people. We have been covering calls as far east as Pittsburg and sent 2 guys to help with things in Joplin. going to take awhile to clean up.

I know this thread has been dead for a few months but wanted to say thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. Born and raised in Joplin, Mo. May 22nd (day of tornado) was my high school graduation day.

My family was affected by the tornado. We lost our house and all but two vehicles. No one was hurt since we were at graduation.

My father is also a firefighter, and he did most of the organizing for the search and rescue efforts.

So all in all my family took a big hit, but the town as a whole took a bigger one. We were blessed that no family was hurt.

Anyways, thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Back