• Register Today It's free!

junkyard 4406

noeld

Reaction score
City, State
cuba mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
98xlt
was at the junkyard & found i think a 4406 out of an 98 expatiation that is supposed to be low mileage
the # on a plastic tag on transfer are 4406-000-023, xl14-7a195-ad
could somebody tell me if this is the one i need for my ranger v8 swap
thx noel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im pretty sure all the expedition 4406's are Electric. you could make it work but it would require a lot more modification. Call around some more local junk yards and look on ebay for a manual 4406 out of a 98-03 f-150.

that number comes back as a "torque on demand" 4406 transfercase, mated to the 5.4 liter V8 or 4.6 liter V8, 1999 model year.
The 4R70W was mated to it with the 4.6, and the 4R100 was mated to it in the 5.4 models.

that number comes back as a "torque on demand" 4406 transfercase, mated to the 5.4 liter V8 or 4.6 liter V8, 1999 model year.
The 4R70W was mated to it with the 4.6, and the 4R100 was mated to it in the 5.4 models.
thx for replys
i want the elec one so should i go ahead & get it ?????
i am not hip to the pro or cons of the tod thing ???????
it had a 5.4 should i get the driveshafts or not ??
thx noel

I have zero knowledge about what you are trying to accomplish. If you are going with the 5.0 and are going to use the 4R70W transmission, the transfercase you are asking about will bolt to the transmission. If you had the electric shift transfercase in the ranger to begin with, you might be able to retrofit the existing controls (in the truck) to the 4406 torque-on-demand transfercase.
Have you check this out? Ranger5.0 threads!!
You also asked about the driveshaft, but since your truck is a ranger and not an explorer, I do not know the answer to that question. The folks at the site that i linked to should know that.

I have zero knowledge about what you are trying to accomplish. If you are going with the 5.0 and are going to use the 4R70W transmission, the transfercase you are asking about will bolt to the transmission. If you had the electric shift transfercase in the ranger to begin with, you might be able to retrofit the existing controls (in the truck) to the 4406 torque-on-demand transfercase.
Have you check this out? Ranger5.0 threads!!
You also asked about the driveshaft, but since your truck is a ranger and not an explorer, I do not know the answer to that question. The folks at the site that i linked to should know that.
i have been trying to figure out about the tod thing but from what i understand i dont want a tod 4406 out of a expatiation i guess i need a none tod 4406 out of a f150 ????

You need the transfer case for a 20002 Ford F150, manual shift. (BW 4406). The manual shifted transfercase is an easier option than trying to retrofit an electrically shifted transfercase. Don't get me wrong, it is possible to rewire your rig to use the electric transfercase, but the manual one would be easier IMO.
You need the shifter, the linkage, weather boot, beauty boot, bolts from the side of the transmission, EVERYTHING associated with the shifter, if they have it or you can get it.
Reason why I say 2002 150 is that this year has a much smaller list of transfercases for the BW4406.
To be able to swap in the 5.0 into your Ranger, it would be easier to buy a V8 explorer/mountaineer (possible to get one totalled?) because you will need the wiring harnesses, the ECM and sensors.
I strongly suggest you click here to read the threads on the rangerpowersports V8 swap area. This has been done many times by the guys over there, and there is a great question/answer section. Absolutely required reading to do the V8 swap into a Ranger. From what I understand the easiest combination to do is the 99-2001 Ranger with a 1999-2001 V8 Explorer or Mountaineer. Again, study up on this before diving in.

As a side note: there are 2 manual shift BW4406's in St. Louis that have less than 45,000 miles and can be had for $250 each. Thats a steal! Call Liberty Auto Parts @ 1-800-952-8514 . Stock # 5214V has 18,000 miles :eek: and Stock # 85943 has 44,000 miles. Thats hard to beat!

You need the transfer case for a 20002 Ford F150, manual shift. (BW 4406). The manual shifted transfercase is an easier option than trying to retrofit an electrically shifted transfercase. Don't get me wrong, it is possible to rewire your rig to use the electric transfercase, but the manual one would be easier IMO.
You need the shifter, the linkage, weather boot, beauty boot, bolts from the side of the transmission, EVERYTHING associated with the shifter, if they have it or you can get it.
Reason why I say 2002 150 is that this year has a much smaller list of transfercases for the BW4406.
To be able to swap in the 5.0 into your Ranger, it would be easier to buy a V8 explorer/mountaineer (possible to get one totalled?) because you will need the wiring harnesses, the ECM and sensors.
I strongly suggest you click here to read the threads on the rangerpowersports V8 swap area. This has been done many times by the guys over there, and there is a great question/answer section. Absolutely required reading to do the V8 swap into a Ranger. From what I understand the easiest combination to do is the 99-2001 Ranger with a 1999-2001 V8 Explorer or Mountaineer. Again, study up on this before diving in.

As a side note: there are 2 manual shift BW4406's in St. Louis that have less than 45,000 miles and can be had for $250 each. Thats a steal! Call Liberty Auto Parts @ 1-800-952-8514 . Stock # 5214V has 18,000 miles :eek: and Stock # 85943 has 44,000 miles. Thats hard to beat!

hey thx for the heads up mounty, i have 95 EX for a donor for my 98 ranger

Back