• Register Today It's free!

Identifying a BW 4406

sparkyXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' Limited AWD 5.0L
So I first thought about doing the 4406 swap when, I meet up with 410fortune and he told me that this is the one mod that he would recomend the most...I have read up over and over just not quite sure what I want to do yet ( I mean I would love to but IDK)...

Anyways I was help this guy at his shop. He took off early to go pick his new car lift and I just ended up trying to clean up the shop (it was flooded from the rain of last night) but I was just working around and he has quite a few misc. engines, trans, t-cases, parts sitting around...I saw a T-case and I thought to myself "what if that was a BW 4406 that I need, that would be sweet" so I went and picked it up and looked at the tag....the tag had many markings on it but one of them read 4406!!!:eek:

So can anybody tell me which numbers/marking to look at to see what T-case it is? and if it is a BW 4406, is there a difference in them or should they all be the same if it is one?

If this turns out to be a BW 4406 with decent mileage, consider this my swap thread...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No I didnt't have the digi with me...I didn't even have my cell, I left like everything at home today, but I am going to make a short trip down to the shop and snap a few pics....I'll be back in like 10-15 or so...

The sticker below is from a 4405 but if the transfer case your talking about is a 4406, then the line above "Borg Warner Automotive" should say 44-06-x..-x..

tcase4405tag_97model.jpg

OMG!!! I working on getting pics on the comp as we speak but I was to excitied to wait the 3 mintues and show you the pic but that tag says 4406 WOOT WOOT IM FREAKING OUT!!! if you can't tell...I hope its good to go...

congrats. only like 40 miles from me. let me know if yo need help. or maybe we can find a place to wheel up there.

Pictures took a bit longer, cause I forgot and shot them in 8mp so had to resize real quick but here we go...

While I was down there, I tried shifting it and turning input...I got 2wd, N, and I believe it was 4lo....There should be 4 hi in there right? I say I believe it was 4lo because it seamed to be reduced...It was not the easiest thing to shift the linkage by hand so not sure if I missed 4hi or what....Other wise it seemed to turn good overall

Tag 1...
Picture%20013.jpg

Tag 2...
Picture%20014.jpg

Rear output...
Picture%20015.jpg

Input/linkage/front output...
Picture%20016.jpg

Whole case...
Picture%20017.jpg

WOW. Sweet find! What are the odds?? If you need help with the install let me know. I love my 4406, it is definitely a necessity on the trail.

sweet. well let me know if you need help.

schmidlkofer: Yeah, I have been seeing that you recently moved to Co...I found your truck on craigslist.com...are you trying to get out of the 4wheeling world or just checking intrest or what?

Jt: Not sure why you would want this one, when you have your own....but I got a deal for ya...I'll send you this, and you send my that 347 of yours...lol I WISH that would happen... :drool: :burnout:

I will keep all the offers for help in mind...Thanks

I went over it quick but just have to go back over it and make sure it is in good shape, try and found out the mileage on it, and work out a price with him...hell since I help him out at the shop maybe the price will be....ZIP, ZERO, NADA

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!!! <---Sorry had to do that, I am so hopeing that all goes well, but I don't want to get my hopes up...

im trying to sell it and get something else. i want more power...i found a old bronco with a rubuilt tranny and motor with 5000 miles on it. and newer tires for less than 3000. spread the word....and i need to get on some trails.

So I talked to the guy who owns the shop only for a few seconds though...I found out that this case came from an f250...Now most people look for the BW 4406 by a f150 but since the 250 was a 5.4L it should still be good correct?

I asked him what kind of a deal he would be looking for it...he said I could do it at his shop and just swap out the cases so I figure just give him my old one!!!
Don't think he knows I need new shafts and to fab up the linkage but im sure he doesn't mind...

So on this case it should be just like any other 4x4 case correct? and by me saying that I mean it goes in order from 2wd/N/4Hi/4lo right? cause I think I only got 3 gears while testing it...

I have read pretty much everybodys swap threads before because the thought of doing has came up, but it is ever so present right now...so I am going to reread...

So on this case it should be just like any other 4x4 case correct? and by me saying that I mean it goes in order from 2wd/N/4Hi/4lo right
No -- the pattern is usually 2wd/4hi/N/4lo .

JT thanks for making me look....like a grey crayon in the box, not quite black yet but for sure not the brightest!
I just got done reading flybycoe's now onto yours I believe...really don't want to read 410's whole thing all over again (like 30 pgs) but I must so here we go...!

Thanks Senator, I meant to say 2wd/4hi/N/4lo...

I will play with it more tomorrow and find out mileage and see if I cant get it to go in 4hi for me....cause I know I got the rest...

JT thanks for making me look....like a grey crayon in the box, not quite black yet but for sure not the brightest!
I just got done reading flybycoe's now onto yours I believe...really don't want to read 410's whole thing all over again (like 30 pgs) but I must so here we go...!

Thanks Senator, I meant to say 2wd/4hi/N/4lo...

I will play with it more tomorrow and find out mileage and see if I cant get it to go in 4hi for me....cause I know I got the rest...

The thread I linked is Evan's--just to be sure he gets the credit--

My thread doesn't show much--.

oh, and BTW
I read, re read, and read Evan's thread 410's thread

at the last minute I pm'd Evan (mountaineergreen) and asked the same question--lol

Yeah, I have evans, 410's, flyboycoe, Jt's (yours), 97v8's, and V8boatbuilders Swap threads all saved to favorites...

I know that the rear driveshaft must be from a 5.4L, but I have come into some conflicting matter between the threads....In FlyboyCoe's it says that the front shaft must be from 4.6L, while evans calls for a 5.4L...possible typo in one or the other...Any help on that matter would be fantastic

Yeah, I have evans, 410's, flyboycoe, Jt's (yours), 97v8's, and V8boatbuilders Swap threads all saved to favorites...

I know that the rear driveshaft must be from a 5.4L, but I have come into some conflicting matter between the threads....In FlyboyCoe's it says that the front shaft must be from 4.6L, while evans calls for a 5.4L...possible typo in one or the other...Any help on that matter would be fantastic

All I know is I am driving with Evan's right now-
he had to switch when he installed his superlift--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Every truck is different. I know we hear that around here a lot, but it's true. In my truck even the 4.6L front driveshaft was a little too long and I had to get it cut down. Your best bet is to measure the distance under your own truck and find the shaft best suited for your needs.

If you go to a local parts store, before you leave, ask them if you can exchange it if you need a different shaft. I got lucky and they gave me my new one for free.

Back