Just an after - 96 V8 EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just an after - 96 V8 EB

I dont have any befores... but here are some afters. 96 AWD EB ... torsion twist/shackle/add-a-leaf, 2" PA Body lift, 33X12.5X15 BFG M/Ts

-Kevin

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Funny how a picture makes it look smaller than it does in person.

I'll have to park it next to a stocker one of these days and get a comparison shot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lookin' good .....

Looks shhhweeeeeeeet. How much did you turn the t.b. ? Do the 33's rub ? again it looks relly good ...

I'm jealous.

I didn't think they rubbed at all but now I am seeing that they rub the sway bar at full lock... if it gets to be a big problem I'll probably throw some different rims on. I havent taken it offroad yet to see if it will rub anywhere else... the only place it may is behind the fronts but only if it is cranked one way or the other.

Love the look on your truck! Would really love to do something simular to mine too...

A quick question: do you have loadleveling in your rearshocks? And if you do, did you have any problems when you did the susp. lift back there?

Thanx

NedFlanders-

No, I don't have the loadleveling system on mine. I don't imagine it should cause you any problems though. I didn't change my shocks after the lift. I would just do it and see what happens... if the loadleveling stuff gets confused, just take it out and put in normal shocks and disable the loadleveling.

-Kevin

Why did you put in both add-a-leafs and schackles? didn't that lift the rear a lot more than the 2 inches you can twist the front?

I don't know what the actual amount of lift was. My X was sagging in the rear to begin with, though... I put both in and twisted the front to match. I don't have any binding so I am just leaving it as it is. The ride is a bit rough with the addaleaf though.

-Kevin

Yea, I've heard, but I don't think it would hurt to have a little stiffer ride. I read something somewhere on this site that you shouldn't go over 20 degrees or something(don't have the number in my head right now) on the axles with the torsiontwist. but I guess that's no problem if you don't have any binding.. How's the flex compared to how it was before you lifted it?

I'm not sure ... i havent tested it out on the trail yet. One more thing I need to rig up are some quick disconects for my sway bars then I'll head out and see how it works.

-Kevin

The front ones are really easy to diskonnect without modyfiing anything. you just unscrew the bolts and lift the torsionbar up and they're loose.. No problem at all!
It will definately help the flex. I rode my truck without them for several months before I understood there was something wrong(they were missing when I bought it from ford last december), and I've noticed several places where I could go over with all four wheels on the ground earlier, it now lifts one of the rearwheels.

Try to get some flexshots when you're out testing it! Would be cool to see!

Codewiz,

I read in another thread you removed your body lift as a comprise for your wife. Is this true? If so, can you post some new pics?

Thanks!

hehe, yeah... i did. I'll try to take some pictures tonight. I haven't gone at the wheelwell with my sledgehammer yet so maybe once I have done that I'll take some pics too. I dont get any rubbing on the street but it may be a problem on the trail.

-Kevin

hey, looks awesome! Are those the stock rims on there? If so, are they the same 7" wide ones I would find on my 98 XLT V8?

How far did you twist the torsion bars. Also where did you get the shackles/add-a-leaf? Was it all simple?Looks nice!

You can call 1-800-528-3402 and get the shackles (pt#War-153) i got mine there a while ago for about $48.00

Shackles

Is it possible that you could messure the shackle from hole to hole for me. Im just wondering how much longer they really are.Thanks!

So whats the word kevin? hows the truck? you still have 33's with no body lift?

Yeah - still running them. I have been trying to chase down the cause of my shakes lately tho... i lowered the front even more to soften up the torsion bars. I ended up getting crazy with a sledgehammer on my wheelwell to stop some rubbing in the back. I now get rubbing on the top of the tire when it compresses a lot... there's a v shape on the top of the wheel well that sticks down toward the tire... I didn't have that rub before i softened up the torsion bars so since lowering it didn't cure my shakes, I am going to jack it up again to get rid of that rub... all in all I'm happy with it except for my shakes, but i dont think that is a result of the tires.

-Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was getting the shakes after i got my 32s and an alignment solved it.

i hate to hear about the sledge hammer, i guess you could direct the bend fairly well though. isnt the v thing plastic? cut it off andput a flat piece back on to protect the inside.

i show my wife your explorer with the lift all of the time prepign her for the lift. my saving grace is that i tell her your tires are so much bigger.

i have plans for my christmas break that include the 3" lift.
later

Back