Just bought a 97 5.0 that has no fuel pressure... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought a 97 5.0 that has no fuel pressure...

greenbeer

Another day, Another dent
Reaction score
City, State
Gresham, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0
Hey guys, been out of the Explorer game for a bit, but I'm back! Just bought a 97 XLT 5.0 with 140k and it does not start without starting fluid. It has no fuel pressure and I have not heard the pump run. There are seven wires in the harness going to the tank, and only one has power when the ignition is on (fuel gauge wire?). I checked all fuses and swapped pump relays. Could this be a pressure regulator or anti-theft issue? It's been sitting for four years without any attention at all! I have the tank dropped to do the pump, but if it's just a regulator, that would be nice. Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks,
Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pull the pump and bench test it. more than likely the pump is dead

So you think I could rule out the regulator then?

As far as killing the pump thinking it has pressure?

The pump comes on for a couple of seconds before starting just to prime. I think if the regulator was bad it would still prime but not come back on after starting.

Fuel pump

Got the pump out, we'll find out tomorrow! Thanks guys.

I agree with Lizard. Bench test.

Fuel pump on my 98 5.0L went out about a month ago at 150,000 miles. $200 for a new after market one.

It was the fuel pump, it's alive! Now to track down all the pops and hissing from under the hood... It seems to be missing a vacuum hose under the upper intake near the brake booster.

Back