just bought a Jeep! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just bought a Jeep!

Nice Jeep.. if your interested in an 8.8 i have an extra without backing plates *im converting my 91 x to disc. but i have the drums. it is a traclok 3.73 ford 8.8. make me an offer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice Jeep.. if your interested in an 8.8 i have an extra without backing plates *im converting my 91 x to disc. but i have the drums. it is a traclok 3.73 ford 8.8. make me an offer

free shipping?:D

just kidding...thanks for the offer, but when i do the swap, i'm doing it right and going with discs.

I HATE RUST!!!!!!

brake lines, calipers, bearings...............i've bought like $200 this week of unexpected stuff

1118082020.jpg

kind of dark but i just got the hard top and doors on. The locker is in the front and working fine. I just installed the sway bar disconnects but haven't tested my flex yet, it's freezing cold and dark outside. Thankfully the heat works. The speedometer does not work (still) and it's not my top priority either. Right now, my brakes mush right to the floor since we installed the extended brake lines. We've bled and bled and bled, refilled, refilled, refilled, but no progress.

almost forgot, finally got a full size spare. 33x12.5x15 bfg at. I got 2 of them and four 15x8 black steels for $100.
1118082021.jpg

New picture of top, and doors in actual daylight.
1119081254nolicense.jpg

If anyone is still following this or whatever, I just picked up an NP231 transfer case for $85 from a 95 4cyl YJ, and will be installing the slip yoke eliminator into that. I'm installing that as well as an 8.8 and 4.56 gears (which i have yet to purchase). Also, there is a set of 1" lift boomerang style shackles sitting in the garage. TJ flares will also be added to give more flex room. The track bars may come off too, for more flex and better ride.

Is your jeep a 4 or 6 cyl? I thought 4 cyl used a 21 spline t case and the 6 cyl ones use a 23 spline t case.

After wheeling my wifes cj7 through a few of the hammers trails I can see why people wheel jeeps.

Still checking it out... and just a tad bit jealous :( Must be nice!

Dude, coming along nicely.

I still prefer all 3 of my Ex's over my 2 Jeeps though.

Is your jeep a 4 or 6 cyl? I thought 4 cyl used a 21 spline t case and the 6 cyl ones use a 23 spline t case.

After wheeling my wifes cj7 through a few of the hammers trails I can see why people wheel jeeps.

It's a 6cyl but it's got the BA-10/5 transmission, which has a 21 spline output shaft. The AX-15 used 88-up has 23 splines. So for now, the transmission isn't broken or anything so I'm just going to use it. When I upgrade to the AX-15, I simply change the input shaft on the NP231 and bam, done.

The size of a Jeep is my favorite part about it, next to no-top-no-doors driving. Approach and departure angles are amazing and it's so small, I can practically fit anywhere a 4 wheeler or ATV can.

Update time!

First up, I bought an NP231 (another one, i now have 2) but this one has a SYE already installed. $20, found on craigslist.

Second, I finally got my windshield wipers to work. No more fear of rain.

Finally, I installed 1" lift boomerang shackles. 5" total now, no driveline vibrations yet...but I'm still putting in the 231 with SYE once I get an 8.8 and driveshaft.

Pics!
1228081439noplate.jpg

1228081439a.jpg

1228081307bnoplate.jpg

1228081307.jpg

1228081307a.jpg

1228081307c.jpg

My new tcase with the SYE on:
1227082039.jpg

Rear driveline angles
1228081810.jpg

taking off the flares starting today, those things are a real pain. especially the steps, i'm just going to drill the bolts out straight through the floor. new set of TJ flares are ready to go on as soon as i cut some sheet metal around the fender wells.

going shopping for an 8.8 soon...
then come the 4.56 gears...
rear aussie...
tom woods driveshaft...
install all that and the transfer case...
and...
bam! i'm done for at least a week before i decide i need more stuff.

nice jeep u got there

Your Jeep is looking really nice, mine has been really fun driving around wiht no top or doors, I think I'll end up with the 2.5" lift as my 31" rub at full flex. Did you regear for 33's and I feel sorry for having the BA10/5.

Your Jeep is looking really nice, mine has been really fun driving around wiht no top or doors, I think I'll end up with the 2.5" lift as my 31" rub at full flex. Did you regear for 33's and I feel sorry for having the BA10/5.

Thanks. I have 3.07s right now, but when I get the 8.8 i'm going to 4.56. I really have to ride the clutch to get going in 1st. I'm going to run the 10/5 until it quits, then probably go ax15. Both np231s that I have right now have the 21 spline input shafts, so all I would need to do is swap to 23 spline if i get a new trans.

2.5" on 31s should look good, how wide and what kind of tires?

The 31's I'm running are the ones I used to have on my Explorer the Cooper Discoverer Radial STT's they are 31X10.5x15
SANY0118.jpg

SANY0117.jpg

There is a possibility that I could go with the 4" lift kit from rough country since they are the same price but I am worried about driveline vibes.

I think I've seen some of your posts on Jeepforum.

I have their 4" kit and their 1" boomerang shackles and have zero vibrations. Check out the thread called "rough country" in the yj technical section. If you honestly, really, truly know for sure you won't want to go bigger than 31s, I'd say go for the 2.5", I don't even think you need extended brakelines. I knew I would never ever be satisfied with anything less than 33s so I just went for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats why I'm kind of leaning toward the 4'' kit but it will look funny with 31's and a 4" lift but I might end up doing it in a few months.

Back