Just changed out plugs in my 02 explorer, OMG! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just changed out plugs in my 02 explorer, OMG!

bamsho

Reaction score
City, State
south williamsport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Changed out plugs in my 02 Explorer yesterday. I bought it used, 6 months ago and never seemed to have any issues, but just wanted to change them for my piece of mind. I was shocked when I pulled the first one out, the gap was at least twice or more the recommended .054. Got the pass side done, when to the driver side, got to front one. It was another OMG. The top electrode was totally broke off and had rust on it. So basically she was running on 5 cylinders.

DSCF2757_zpst2cb3h1k.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good job. My gaps were similar at only 59k, especially the drivers side center electrode wear. There's a good chance your #4 plug TERMINAL broke when you removed the plug, otherwise you would have had a CEL and a really bad misfire. Hopefully you used the
time proven OEM Motorcraft SP500 FineWire Platinum or Autolite #103 Double Platinum or Iridium Series for many trouble free miles.

DSC01700.jpg

Yeah always use Motorcraft finewire plugs on my cars. I changes the plugs in my 2012 SHO every year. Just couldn't believe how bad these were.

probs the factory ones... *Shudder*

Actually that wouldn't surprise me nowadays.

Just changed mine out, #2 is the only cylinder with a little black on it. The rest are white and clean. But no engine problems from it though, so its odd.

Back