Just picked up a used 2011 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just picked up a used 2011 Limited

LDogg

Reaction score
City, State
Falcon, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited 4WD
Hey guys, I just bought a used 2011 Explorer Limited, and I am having a small issue with the rear cup holder. this is the one that comes out of the center console. I assume you would push it in to open and close, similar to the glasses stow in the center roof console, however it was down when I bought it, and when pushed in, it just falls back down. is there springs, or some other mechanisim that keeps it in place, or is the thing just broken? I am leaning towards the broken route, and I think I can just buy the cup holder, and not the entire center trim, but not sure. any help/thoughts would be appreciated. I am also getting the terrain management fault that I have read about on here, but mine is slightly different then described. it's been cold since i got the explorer, and it seemed to do it in the mornings, after I would drop the kids off, the wife off, and then get to the office. this was about 18 miles total. it would throw the error when i would pull into my spot at the office, and put it in park. it never threw the error while in drive. it would do it almost every day in this same mannor. It would have been the third time in park each morning, in sucession, with the car never being turned off. turning it off, cleared the error of course. now here's the interesting thing. we bought this used, and the nav SD card was removed, so I ordered a replacement one. when it arrived I had to upgraded MFT through syncmyride.com to v2 3.5 I believe. I can't get to syncmyride at work, but I can get the exact version when I get home. anyway after upgrading and driving for a week, it's only happened twice, and only when putting it in park. I am going to get the dealer to look at it, and maybe the cup holder too tomorrow when I get them to fix a couple minor dings that we noticed before buying, so we will see what they say. I also switched the headlights out for zXe's, but I think i need an HID upgrade. We traded a loaded Acadia SLT2 for this loaded limited, but it didn't have HID's, and our acadia did, and I want them back... :) overall I am glad we made that decision. Both handle/ride the same, but after having 1 transmission replaced at 70k, and having it feel funny again at 90, I was done. that was my first, and most likely last GM... been a blue oval guy for years, so I shoulda known better... ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2nd row cup holder is not a push in type operation like the sunglass holder. You simply pull it open. If it is not staying closed, then it sounds like the spring inside is either detached or broken. I saw this issue on a rental EX. I would suggest looking at a parts diagram to see how it goes together, maybe its as simple as reattaching a spring or some other quick fix.

Regarding the terrain management fault, ensure that your dealer checks for any outstanding TSB's that may need to be performed on it since the 2011's had a lot of TSB's. I'm not sure if there was one regarding the terrain management system. Maybe all TSB's were not done on your particular EX. There is a TSB sticky, look through there. Also perform a search regarding the terrain management system fault. It's been discussed many times.

ok, thanks! I did feel around the cup holder this morning, and felt a spring that seemed to be disconnected, so I will look there. I will ask about the TSB's, as I am pretty sure they didn't do anything prior to putting it on the lot from auction.

Thanks!

2nd row cup holder is not a push in type operation like the sunglass holder. You simply pull it open. If it is not staying closed, then it sounds like the spring inside is either detached or broken. I saw this issue on a rental EX. I would suggest looking at a parts diagram to see how it goes together, maybe its as simple as reattaching a spring or some other quick fix.

Regarding the terrain management fault, ensure that your dealer checks for any outstanding TSB's that may need to be performed on it since the 2011's had a lot of TSB's. I'm not sure if there was one regarding the terrain management system. Maybe all TSB's were not done on your particular EX. There is a TSB sticky, look through there. Also perform a search regarding the terrain management system fault. It's been discussed many times.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204

Happy hunting.

Enjoy your new ride.

Bobby:thumbsup:

For anyone buying a used Ex in the near future--- they have replaced my Nav card with each of the last two MFT updates done. So, if you are missing your Nav card, it may be worthwhile to see if there is an update due or coming soon. Of course, I'm assuming the Nav card costs $40 to replace, not $5.

Hey guys, I just bought a used 2011 Explorer Limited, and I am having a small issue with the rear cup holder. this is the one that comes out of the center console. I assume you would push it in to open and close, similar to the glasses stow in the center roof console, however it was down when I bought it, and when pushed in, it just falls back down. is there springs, or some other mechanisim that keeps it in place, or is the thing just broken? I am leaning towards the broken route, and I think I can just buy the cup holder, and not the entire center trim, but not sure. any help/thoughts would be appreciated. I am also getting the terrain management fault that I have read about on here, but mine is slightly different then described. it's been cold since i got the explorer, and it seemed to do it in the mornings, after I would drop the kids off, the wife off, and then get to the office. this was about 18 miles total. it would throw the error when i would pull into my spot at the office, and put it in park. it never threw the error while in drive. it would do it almost every day in this same mannor. It would have been the third time in park each morning, in sucession, with the car never being turned off. turning it off, cleared the error of course. now here's the interesting thing. we bought this used, and the nav SD card was removed, so I ordered a replacement one. when it arrived I had to upgraded MFT through syncmyride.com to v2 3.5 I believe. I can't get to syncmyride at work, but I can get the exact version when I get home. anyway after upgrading and driving for a week, it's only happened twice, and only when putting it in park. I am going to get the dealer to look at it, and maybe the cup holder too tomorrow when I get them to fix a couple minor dings that we noticed before buying, so we will see what they say...

Hi LDogg,

Congratulations on your Explorer! Swinging by your dealership so they can take a look is a great first step. Let us know how things go!

Crystal

Back