Just put a used engine, now showing no oil pressure and milkly white on dipstick help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just put a used engine, now showing no oil pressure and milkly white on dipstick help?

chris288

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone, need some help here on my 2002 Ford Explorer limited 4.0 V6. Bought a used engine from junkyard ( Did hear it run and checked oil before) so I believe the engine is good. Its got 74k miles on it.

Had my friend put it in because that is a little to much for me. Just started it up and smelled some coolant after it ran. Forgot to change the old oil out, so figured that it was old. Well when I dropped the drain plug it poured pure antifreeze/water for like 3-5 seconds, then milky white oil. It overflowed the oil drain pan.

Since its the first time its ran since replacing the engine, I drained the oil and left the old filter thinking I will have to drain it again. So started it back up and it sounds and runs fine, except I can smell and see a little smoke starting at the side of the engine on top I think under the throttle body and air intake. I only let it idle for a couple mins, because I looked down and it shows zero oil pressure, so I shut it off.

I pulled the dipstick again, and its got some milky while on it.

My question is what could have went wrong? New water pump and it sounds good at start up. Maybe he didn't hook up the oil pressure sensor so that is why no oil pressure, but it scares me to let it idle.

I am concerned about the milky white dipstick. I haven't drained it again to see if lots of antifreeze again comes out, but this worries me. The engine was complete and it was just a replacement engine that had to be hooked up. Could something be hooked up wrong? I dunno what to do or check next?

Could it be a bad engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@chris288 If coolant is entering the crankcase that quickly, there is a major issue present, possibly a head gasket leak, but more probably a cracked head or block. The head gasket leak generally permits combustion gases to enter the cooling system, but has no way of letting foreign stuff like coolant get into the crankcase.

No oil pressure is the first thing to resolve. If there IS pressure, then the other issue will prevail. imp

@chris288 If coolant is entering the crankcase that quickly, there is a major issue present, possibly a head gasket leak, but more probably a cracked head or block. The head gasket leak generally permits combustion gases to enter the cooling system, but has no way of letting foreign stuff like coolant get into the crankcase.

No oil pressure is the first thing to resolve. If there IS pressure, then the other issue will prevail. imp

So been working on this today. Thanks IMP appreciate the advice. I do think I have big problems somewhere. So I drained the oil and replaced filter. Then I put 8 quarts of water in the resovior for radiator. I can't believe it even took this much.

So I started up the vehicle and the top of the engine starts shooting white creamy milk from oil and water mix. It shoots up from the front top where the coil packs are somewhere. So I shut it off and water is streaming out from under it. It still is draining now after the car is off.

Looks like some hole in a metal hose under the engine on the passenger side front.

I wonder if the engine is hooked up wrong or missing something. This is real bad.

I am going to try to attach pics of where it shot out and where it's leaking. What would anyone suggest next? A water pump was put on it, but I don't know. The 8 gallons of water it took is concerning.

So been working on this today. Thanks IMP appreciate the advice. I do think I have big problems somewhere. So I drained the oil and replaced filter. Then I put 8 quarts of water in the resovior for radiator. I can't believe it even took this much.

So I started up the vehicle and the top of the engine starts shooting white creamy milk from oil and water mix. It shoots up from the front top where the coil packs are somewhere. So I shut it off and water is streaming out from under it. It still is draining now after the car is off.

Looks like some hole in a metal hose under the engine on the passenger side front.

I wonder if the engine is hooked up wrong or missing something. This is real bad.

I am going to try to attach pics of where it shot out and where it's leaking. What would anyone suggest next? A water pump was put on it, but I don't know. The 8 gallons of water it took is concerning.

I can't figure out to paste pics from my phone here.

Back